I really really hoped the Flanger Hoax Would be Awesome... But

Started by stopstopsmile, November 01, 2005, 05:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ry

It's still on my Christmas list for sure...I don't mind modifying it at all!   :)

puretube

Mark Hammer

Nice.  I imagine Brian Eno is muttering "Where was this when I needed it?!!"

aron

OK, I got to try a Flanger Hoax. Here's what I found. It was not noisy at all in bypass mode. It sounded just like it was bypassed. There were some noisy settings, but these were when the feedback was maxxed out and in swept mode. The rate can be set so fast that it sounds like audio frequency modulation - way above 100Hz.

I listened to the effect out first and then used the blend out.

In essence I didn't find the unit any more noisy than even some digital models. There were so many options on the thing, it's crazy.

A pretty wild pedal.

hairyandy

I agree Aron.  I got to try it during the last Sheryl Crow tour and it was amazing!  It wasn't noisy at all, except when it was supposed to be, and Peter Stroud made that thing sound wicked through his rig... :icon_biggrin:

I was drooling and now I must have one ASAP.  Especially since I've been on a huge Police/Andy Summers bender for the last two weeks...

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

troubledtom

Quote from: puretube on November 03, 2005, 04:22:08 PM
So What The Fuss?

none, you cool mofo :icon_mrgreen:
         i have one on the way thanx to aron :icon_wink:
               ton, you rock. cheers!
                         - tom pollock

Ry

nelson

I have one on the way courtesy of Aron, I wonder which one of our pedals he test drived?

Wouldnt mind if it was mine.

If I get one with inherent problems, I will be coming here for suggested fixes.
I will submit a review. After EXTENSIVE testing.
I will try to make it as objective and scientific as possible. I am sure ton wouldnt submit a design that had inherent flaws, although I am aware of the compromises that need to be reached in the process from the designers mind, too the production line.

I am a tweaker and a modulation junkie so this pedal should be a match made in heaven.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

markphaser

What makes a pedal like this create so much hiss noise?

1.) Needs better filtering in the power supply
2.) Lay the parts out more spread them out
3.) Cheap chips and components

It sounds like this pedal some how raises the noise floor way up but what it causing this to happen because its a flanger/phaser pedal

Dave_B

Quote from: markphaser on December 11, 2005, 02:33:08 AM

What makes a pedal like this create so much hiss noise?

1.) Needs better filtering in the power supply
2.) Lay the parts out more spread them out
3.) Cheap chips and components

It sounds like this pedal some how raises the noise floor way up but what it causing this to happen because its a flanger/phaser pedal

If you take a look at some of the followup posts, you'll see it's not a consistant issue.
Help build our Wiki!

troubledtom

people KNOW i don't mince words . mine will be here in 2-3 days . i have deep respect for ton, but i WILL call it as i see/hear it.
     ton hasn't made a lemon yet why would he start how, the sound clips are killer. i can't wait. i only buy devices that are too hard to make, echo park blah blah blah.
                  stay tuned,
                       - tom

Gladmarr

I just got mine today (yes, Sunday, who knew USPS delivers on Sunday during xmas season) and it's a cool as a cucumber when bypassed.  There are definitely some noisy settings, like Aron said above, but that's to be expected when you have a pedal this capable and versatile.  I played with it for about two hours and never got the same sound twice.  I don't find mine to be noisy when it's not supposed to be noisy.

I got mine B stock through Aron (thank you very much) and it looks great!  There one or two pinhead size flaws in the silkscreen - that would have happened in about a week of normal use. 

As for the power supply filters on this, they are most likely pretty big caps in there, as it took about 10-15sec for the power light to go out when I pulled the adapter out.  Whatever started this whole bunch of fear and speculation about this pedal must have been limited to a few damaged and/or flawed units, because mine rules!

markphaser

I read that Mike Matthews EH likes his pedals very noisy to get more oscillations/harmonics and sounds out of the pedal
most people would think this is a poor design but in music to have a noisy circuit gets more out of the pedal then if its really quiet

How to make a noisy circuit
     cheap transistors, Noisy BBD's, Clock noise, dissipation resistor noise, power supply noise, AC wall noise, components really close to each other like the LFO or clocks really close to the input and output stages 

analogmike

Quote from: markphaser on December 11, 2005, 10:07:10 PM
I read that Mike Matthews EH likes his pedals very noisy to get more oscillations/harmonics and sounds out of the pedal
most people would think this is a poor design but in music to have a noisy circuit gets more out of the pedal then if its really quiet

How to make a noisy circuit
     cheap transistors, Noisy BBD's, Clock noise, dissipation resistor noise, power supply noise, AC wall noise, components really close to each other like the LFO or clocks really close to the input and output stages 

A large part of the EH noise has nothing to do with those things. It's due to the tradeoff between high end and noise.

The Japanese Analog Delays are tuned for less noise, but have much less high end- quite dull sounding (which many people like). EH tunes their pedals for more high end, which allows more of the noise to get through. The noise is lopped off in the companding circuitry, you can set whatever bandwidth you want. I personally like a little more high end and fidelity, even if there is a little more noise.

Hope that helps!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

StephenGiles

"The Japanese Analog Delays are tuned for less noise, but have much less high end- quite dull sounding (which many people like). EH tunes their pedals for more high end, which allows more of the noise to get through. The noise is lopped off in the companding circuitry, you can set whatever bandwidth you want. I personally like a little more high end and fidelity, even if there is a little more noise." said Analogmike

This is why, Japanese flangers sound so awful to my ears and EH flangers sound so good.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

markphaser

"EH tunes their pedals for more high end, which allows more of the noise to get through"

How does EH tune the BBD chips to get more noise through?

"The noise is lopped off in the companding circuitry, you can set whatever bandwidth you want"

How do u set up the Companders bandwidth?

"The Japanese Analog Delays are tuned for less noise"

But u just said thats the EH tuned the Japanese BBD chips to let more noise through so i don't get it
how do they use a Less noise BBD chip but get more hiss and noise your saying Hi end noise through
how does a designer do this?

aron

TELEFUNKON

Quote from: markphaser on December 12, 2005, 02:38:41 PM
"EH tunes their pedals for more high end, which allows more of the noise

how do they use a Less noise BBD chip but get more hiss and noise your saying Hi end noise through
how does a designer do this?

less steep lopasses, wth higher fc