SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Capicitors

Started by Screaming Solo, November 04, 2005, 10:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screaming Solo

hey im gonna build a ts808 but im missing one part

i need a 51 pF capacitor but i can only buy a 47 pF and a 68 pF cap

will the small difference really be that big of a deal? will it mess up the sound or operation of the pedal? or can i safely sub a 47 pF cap for a 51 pF

Screaming Solo

also does anyone reccommend any extra mods to the TS 808 to improve it before i order all the parts?

im using this schematic

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=1

i'm gonna use all the parts they listed there to build it except i swapped out the tant capacitor for a poly film one since i've heard it makes it sound better any other ideas?

Screaming Solo

sorry for the triple post i just have lots of questions since this is my first time attempting this  :icon_redface:

what is the difference between a 3PDT switch and a DPDT switch? which one should i get for a tubescreamer?

Strat Cat

A 47pf will work fine in place of a 51pf

A 3PDT stomp switch is what you need if you want to have an LED with your true bypass switching. Or you can use a Millenium Bypass circuit for the LED when using a DPDT stomp switch. Personally I prefer using a 3PDT stomp switch.

Screaming Solo

alright thats kind of what i thought would be different

anyone else think it will be worth like the extra 6 bucks for the better switch

i want to have an LED indicator on my circuit btw

thanks for the help

Screaming Solo

basically wouldnt it be easier to wire for true bypass and an LED with a 3PDT switch than wiring a DPDT switch in Millenium Bypass?

KORGULL

The DPDT will make things slightly more complicated for you to have true bypass switching with an LED indicator.
You will need to add the Millennium bypass circuit which consists of a few common parts like a diode and a couple transistors and a resistor or two. I only used it once - on my first project so I might not have that parts list exactly right - it is easy enough to find more precise info about if you decide to go that way.
If you want to keep things as simple as possible,  go with the 3PDT.

Screaming Solo

alright thanks im gonna use the 3PDT switch since i really dont want to overcomplicate things

will something like this work as a board for building this circuit?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=71