News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Boss SD-1

Started by Screaming Solo, November 05, 2005, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screaming Solo

hey im gonna buy this pedal off of a friend and mod it to ts808 specs

i just need to know...is this pedal stock wired with true bypass? or am i gonna have to buy a 3PDT switch to do that

and all i have to do to make an SD-1 to TS808 specs is change the IC and replace two resistors right

thanks

emilyandmiles

As far as i'm aware Boss pedals use a decent buffer so there's no real need to TB it.

I doubt you'd be able to fit a 3PDT in it anyway, without a total rehouse.

As for the rest. Yeah.

Screaming Solo

well alright sounds good

you guys think this is a good idea? i never done this before but i can get this pedal real cheap off a friend so i can mod it

and the parts to mod arent real expensive so im thinking i can make a great sounding pedal for real cheap

tiges_ tendres

there are lots of mods you can do to an sd1 that make it sound good without trying to turn it into an 808.  do a search!
Try a little tenderness.

Screaming Solo

really?

well i thought the 808 was generally "THE" pedel to mod anything really to sound like

i'll have to check some of this stuff out  :icon_biggrin:

Screaming Solo

hmmm im having a little trouble finding info on modding this pedal without converting it to a ts 808

jimbob

I say leave it like it is. I like the sound of the SD-1. Its a different flavor versus the Ts-808. Just perf or buy a board and make your own.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

vanessa

You could try switching in different diodes for starters. One you could do is switch in a 1N4005 while switching out the two 1N914's (or what ever they got in there) that are in series. This would give you the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 clipping tone. Or if you wanted it 'hot' you could use an LED (red). Most of the 808 cap value mods that give you a fuller range will apply here too as these are basically the same circuit.

Screaming Solo

Quote from: vanessa on November 05, 2005, 02:29:02 PM
You could try switching in different diodes for starters. One you could do is switch in a 1N4005 while switching out the two 1N914's (or what ever they got in there) that are in series. This would give you the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 clipping tone. Or if you wanted it 'hot' you could use an LED (red). Most of the 808 cap value mods that give you a fuller range will apply here too as these are basically the same circuit.

alright i'll be sure to check that out  :icon_biggrin:

bass_econo

Here is the link to the SD-1 to Fulldrive instructions -
lhttp://www.guitarfaq.com/index_v2-7-30.html

Screaming Solo

whats the difference between the sound of a fulldrive and a tubescreamer?

vanessa

Quote from: Screaming Solo on November 05, 2005, 02:57:33 PM
whats the difference between the sound of a fulldrive and a tubescreamer?

About a hundred bucks.

:icon_lol:

bass_econo

Check out www.indyguitarist.com there are sound samples of the fulldrive mod and some others.  Brian also has a lot of mods on there that you might be interested in as well.  Also on Musiciansfriend they have soundclips... about the only thing they are good for really.

Dragonfly

jimbob

Very cool! Ill give it a try! Thanks for the great pic! Very generous.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Ben N

(1) TS808 is not true bypass, so if you were somehow to butcher an SD1 to be, you wouldn't be any closer than the TS.  Their buffers are not exactly identical, although the Boss one may be better.

(2) Use your ears, not hype.  The SD1 is pretty darn close to a TS, but the difference is not a matter of good-bad but of the flavor that you favor.  If 808 is what you want, fine, but just try the thing first, you may just prefer it stock.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

8mileshigh

For my SD-1 mod, I put a germanium diode in D6 and found this to be the make or break addition.  I swapped many components from a kit I got from a very nice guy called Tvon on Ebay.

Chris.
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

cd

If you've never picked up a soldering iron before, practice soldering/desoldering on a broken clock radio or some other piece of cast off junk before you ruin your nice SD-1.