BOSS METAL ZONE CUMMULATIVE MODS

Started by Moejax, November 07, 2005, 03:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moejax

Okay so here's the story: I have been starting to build a distortion pedal that is based on the Metal Zone except basically I transplanted the Metalzone's circuitry into a larger box and will wire pots and switches for everything, such as caps, resistors, or diodes.  I like the core sound of the effect quite a lot so I really just want to make it highly customizable.

So anybody, especially the ones that know how to read a schematic like if it was a Reader's digest, please, lend a hand and tell us what changes we can make to the original ciruitry in order to affect the sound, say, a cap or resistor that afects the EQ, etcetera. Here's what I have so far, and the schematic link.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/files/MT2.zip

http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home/index.htm (This is some guys site that did a clone of it, theres PCB layouts and other schematics of the MT-2)

KEELEY MOD (+Clarity) -

C37, C39, C17, C11 - Change to 1uf
C9, C42 - Change to .1uf
C20, C8 - Change to .22uf

MIDRANGE MOD (Removes annoying midrange) -

C35, C25 - Remove
C34 - Change to .047uf

Other -

C42 - Fattens distortion (+.1uf)
C36 - Midrange Sifter (.022-.1uf)
R46 - Increasing will reduce pre-distortion mids boost
R41 - Lowering will increase distortion (470 ohms recmd.)

ultradust

replace D4 and D3 with 2 3mm red leds as smooth mods and for more volume.

MetalGuy

Replace D3 and D4 with Marshall style 4+1 diode clipping section.

ultradust

QuoteReplace D3 and D4 with Marshall style 4+1 diode clipping section.

Btw. Haven't tried these yet but I'm just curious... Can you put 2 1n914's in here? What would be the effect??? How about assymetrical clippings??? Can it be possible? Any schematics?

Thanks,

Chard,

Moejax

Ultradust, stop sounding like such a moronic ignorant noob and look up asymetrical clipping in the search. Are the didoes you speak of diodes? ? ? ? (note the arogant question marks) Well theyll work, fool, a diode's a diode... Ever heard of the forum search engine? ? ? ? ? ? ?

emilyandmiles

QuoteUltradust, stop sounding like such a moronic ignorant noob and look up asymetrical clipping in the search. Are the didoes you speak of diodes? (note the arogant question marks) Well theyll work, fool, a diode's a diode... Ever heard of the forum search engine?

Sheesh, that's harsh.

ultradust

Quote from: Moejax on November 15, 2005, 02:37:59 PM
Ultradust, stop sounding like such a moronic ignorant noob and look up asymetrical clipping in the search. Are the didoes you speak of diodes? ? ? ? (note the arogant question marks) Well theyll work, fool, a diode's a diode... Ever heard of the forum search engine? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Ok... As I've said before... I'm new here... Btw, FYI: Being polite n nice is a virtue... Man!!! U can try that sometimes... COz' that's what seperate humans from the vicious ANIMALLL!!!!  :)

Thanks for the INFO though... I'm gonna check the search page now and enjoy the blissful day ahead... hehehe... Lolz... Good day... Oh btw, Check ur BP Level you might burst ur nerves anytime soon... If That is so... Then Good Riddance to you... MAAAN!!! or are you??? R.I.P.  :)

Just a friendly reminder in case you don't know it or you just simply forgot about it...   :)

Cheers,

Paul Marossy

Replies like the one from Moejax are not necessary and it is also poor internet/forum etiquette. Let's keep things positive guys - no need for immature cutting eachother down.  :icon_wink:

Anyhow, I am tempted to get another Metal Zone to use as a test bed. Some of these mods sound interesting!  :icon_cool:

Moejax

OK listen, not to make a big deal about it, but my acting like a jerk-off is sometimes necessary; you're new to something, don't come to a post, ask questions that have been answered hundreds of times (and answered too) just because you're too lazy to use the search engine or the FAQ. I'm trying to hold a little post that asks about metal zones, here comes some clown asking if a diode can be replaced by another diode...wait, etiquette? Politeness, a virtue? How about laziness, and wasting people's time, what does that count as?

As for the metal zones, I have another thing to add, you can change one of the diodes in the clipping section and wire it so it's the staus light, and the it will light up as it clips. It looks cool!

Paul Marossy

I hear what you're saying, but I also know that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.  :icon_wink:

MartyMart

It was a simple question and deserved a simple answer, I know sometimes that your
"thread" can get hijacked ... which gets a bit annoying, but take it easy 'bro :D
BTW the metal zone has great eq and therefore a TON of sound combinations
I found after modding one and spending FAR TOO MUCH TIME ON IT, that I liked
it stock better anyway !! 

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

QuoteBTW the metal zone has great eq and therefore a TON of sound combinations

That's precisely why I never felt the need to mod mine.  :icon_wink:

aron

There is no need to act like a jerk when replying IMO. Please keep responses civil. If you feel like lashing out, then don't reply.

MadSkillzMan

You know, i know this thread is pretty old, and turned pretty hostile,

BUT

does anyone have mods for getting more bass out of this thing? am i better off just adding some resistance to the LOW pot? or is there another component to play with?

And yes im a newb, but im learning

jimbob

QuoteUltradust, stop sounding like such a moronic ignorant noob and look up asymetrical clipping in the search. Are the didoes you speak of diodes? ? ? ? (note the arogant question marks) Well theyll work, fool, a diode's a diode... Ever heard of the forum search engine? ? ? ? ? ?

Now thats not needed here. This is not that kind of forum. Try Harmony Central.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Somicide

Quote from: jimbob on August 05, 2006, 02:29:18 AM
QuoteUltradust, stop sounding like such a moronic ignorant noob and look up asymetrical clipping in the search. Are the didoes you speak of diodes? ? ? ? (note the arogant question marks) Well theyll work, fool, a diode's a diode... Ever heard of the forum search engine? ? ? ? ? ?

Now thats not needed here. This is not that kind of forum. Try Harmony Central.
ooo, talk about harsh, jimbob!

seriously though, IME, the MZ needs more mids and lows (at least how I hear metal it does anyway.) and somehow getting that in there would be nice.  Not having one of these, my soon-to-be-completed Dr.B will have to do  :icon_lol:
Peace 'n Love

jimbob

Quoteoo, talk about harsh, jimbob!

I hear ya. But how often do we really talk like that around here. Thats how we stand out from the others a little.. With some CLASS! There are other ways of saying your wrong or thats stupid.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Toney

Hey relax fellas... this is an old thread!

FWIW.... I still love my MT-2 stock. It's not everyone's taste, sure, but it sounds fabulous to my ears, when used with discretion particularly with a tube Marshall. Darker tube amp + metalzone=good.

Excellent and highly tuneable EQ.

Somicide

Quote from: Toney on August 05, 2006, 04:13:49 AM
Hey relax fellas... this is an old thread!

haha, and now I feel like a moron... in a 9 month old thread.
Peace 'n Love

Satch12879

21 posts Moejax? Who's the noob again?
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com