Fuzzrite schematic

Started by 8mileshigh, November 10, 2005, 04:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8mileshigh

Hi,

Does anybody have the original Fuzzrite schematic or layout handy, the link to the one at Geo doesn't work anymore.  I saw there's a beautiful improved one in Dragonfly's Fuzz folder but I'd like to build the bare bones version.   Anybody ?

Thanks
Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

PenPen

http://www.montagar.com/~patj/mfuzrite.gif:

EDIT: Removed link to display img here, you can get the schem from the link above. I don't think its nice to kill the guy's server like that.

8mileshigh

Ahhhhhh, you da man !  :icon_wink:

Thanks dude !
Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

petemoore

IIRC, that is reported to, and I tried, not work.
  Something about the 470k collector resistors should be 47k..or something, don't quote me...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemoore on November 10, 2005, 05:24:22 PM
  IIRC, that is reported to, and I tried, not work.
  Something about the 470k collector resistors should be 47k..or something, don't quote me...

iirc, youre correct...i think you can actually go down to about a 10-15k on  the silicon fuzzrite  collector resistors....id suggest just using 100k trimpots and biasing to the usual 4.5v.....

andy

doug deeper

nope...they should in fact be 470k...
i found a pic of an originals guts...and all four resistors are the same!
i built mine w/ bc108s and it sounds dead on!

Dragonfly

Quote from: doug deeper on November 10, 2005, 11:12:34 PM

thats odd...i remember building this a while back, and i had to mess with the resistor values to get it to bias...

hmmm.....

Yun

i gave up on the fuzz-rite, man. 

I couldn't get it to be a fuzz.  Everything was grounded correctly, etc.  and it sounded like one of the transistors needed to be grounded.  You know, like it wasn't a fuzz- just a mild overdrive. 

I'm very positive, if not 100% sure, that i built it correctly.  and i tried 8 times!  And that's not a guestimate!  I'm not new to building effects either.  i've designed 2 of em myself with no problems. 

Just a wacky hissy-fitted effect, i guess?
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

petemoore

And there you have it.
  Yupp Yun, I remember giving the FR super fine tooth combings, measuring R's, even pulling one end sometimes, verifying actual Top/Bottom board connections, really veryfying everything, every node...it was finally submitted to the 'nogo' category.
  Not even having seen the actual pic, Dougs info seems rather Iron Clad...and raises new confusion to me, that, I'm not likely to persue anytime soon on this one.
  Just to look at the 'strange symmetricality' of the circuit, makes it appear as though it holds 'special' possibilities, the circuit alone didn't hail any 'super' reviews from those who've gotten it running...I'm not the one in the cheering section as it were, I have been cutting back on Fuzz Tweeking and building.
  So...I'm not doubting that there are 470k's as collector bias resistors, as shown on the schematic and in the Pics, even though they appear comparitively large for a 2Q Fuzz Cct., as such, my statement: 'IIRC, that is reported to, and I tried, not work.' is hereby amended...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Yun

Yeah, mr.Pete; i'm glad you spoke up, man.  i was second guessing my stompbox building skills for a while there, as no-one replied too soon, you know? 

So...... those of you who DID get it working- How?   :icon_lol:
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Herr Masel

Interesting, it doesn't actually sound that good (if you get it working that is :icon_wink:)? What silicon transistors would be good in there?

birt

i made one with bc108 and the 140k resistors and it distorts but it isn't really fuzzy
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Toney

yep, ditto here.
Built one fron DFs layout (thanks) and double checked all against the schem.
Only those pesky 470k/10k?? resistors. Used 10k. Might get back to it and put some pots in there and have a play. The layout is certainly fine, and as for volume...... seemed like plenty.

That original resistor point seems to have flip-flopped a couple of times.
I socketted caps and trannies and went with the bc 108s.
It s fine, biased and everything, does fuzz, just sounds a little thin and wincy.
I put it in my think about later/ test with other amp pile and moved on.
Built the shin-ei straight after and got happy! That's a killer.

doug deeper

yeah mine sounds great!
dead on iron butterfly/music machine sounds.
i keep the fuzz all the way down and use the neck pu and it sounds like bongzilla!

8mileshigh

The clone I bought on Ebay 2 years ago has 4 x 470K resistors and 2 NTE85 transistors.  It's not for the faint at heart when it comes to Fuzz, it's a "can you play it or will it play you" type of thing.  Problem is, the way this guy built the board, it's very difficult to follow the circuit because it's so tiny, that why I asked for the schematic in the first place.  This guy also owned an original.

I'd say my clone is a bit more agressive than the Iron Butterfly sound but it is indeed a great unorderly fuzz, there's life in the circuit.  I'd think there's plenty of use for a Fuzz like this in garage bands and such.  My clone is up there nastywise with the Royal Fuzz I sold earlier this year.  I'll try to build a buplicate in the next few weeks and report back.  I've had a Zoom PS-04 sitting in my drawer for a year that I haven't touched, I think this would be a good time to start learning how it works so I can record some sound samples with the build in mic.

BTW, what is the popular equivalento NTE85 out there ?

Chris

fixr1984

Does anyone have a pcb layout for this one? Or did everyone do it on stripboard?