Stupidly wonderful stereo out?

Started by nelson, November 12, 2005, 08:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

I have been racking my brains trying to think of the simplest way to add a stereo out to some modulation pedals.
Now instead of just repeating the last mixer stage of the design, couldnt you just tap the signal just before the output capacitor and run it through a unity gain inverting amplifier?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

bioroids

I think that will get you an out of phase but otherwise identical signal on both outputs.

You should check the Univibe article at GEOFEX, it has a mod for a stereo output that is pretty simple. You can probably adapt it to other pedals.

Luck!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

seanm

I built a headphone practice amp that had mono to stereo.

The schematic is a bit hard to read because instead of reading left to right you read into the middle. So the right to middle section is what you want ;) I wanted some gain, but I think a unity buffer would work just as well.

The resistors are important as a voltage divider.

puretube

puretube

nelson

May I return you to the thread title? "Stupidly wonderful".

Although that last one is certainly "puretube".
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

puretube

oops - I was more on "stereo out" - with the stress on: stereo
(rather than: oppositely phased...)

recently bought me a couple o`dozen of these, cheaply (discontinued...):
http://pdf.alldatasheet.co.kr/datasheet-pdf/view/19305/PHILIPS/TDA3810.html
:icon_smile:

nelson

Psuedo stereo is enough for me.  :icon_razz:

Interesting chip, however its still less components to repeat last stage of mixer.

I think it is probably better to invert the wet signal and mix it back in with the dry signal on a seperate output rather than make the wet AND dry signal out of phase?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

bioroids

Quote from: nelson on November 16, 2005, 04:40:01 PM
I think it is probably better to invert the wet signal and mix it back in with the dry signal on a seperate output rather than make the wet AND dry signal out of phase?

I think so, that's the most standard way of doing stereo outputs. That's why I pointed to the Geofex article ;)
Just oposite phase, I don't think it would sound that good (you can try it reversing the black and red wires of one of your stereo speakers (warning I dont know if this can harm the speakers/amp))

But there may be easier ways if you take into account the kind of circuit you are tring to make stereo.
For example, on a several (more than 2)  stages phaser, you can hook the outputs to different stages - that would be stereo. I dont know if that will sound good, great or bad, but is an example.

Hooking into differents sections of the circuit (if there is an usefull sounding place) may be the simpler way of acheiving stereo or pseudo-stereo effects.

Luck!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

puretube