i blew up my phase45!

Started by smccusker, November 15, 2005, 02:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smccusker

i'd built this from torchy's layout months ago, and it had been working perfectly, so i decided the otherday, to take the plunge and box it up (this being the first build i was happy enough with to add to my chain). it was a bit of a mission, which was hampered by some frightfully inaccurate drilling on my part, but regardless i managed to squeeze it all in. anyway, i got it done, and everything was going well. so i took a break to have dinner, and when i came back, i stupidly powered it using a dodgy 9v adapter. it started shrieking and misbehaving, and realising my mistake i unplugged it as quickly as i could, but it was too late. i was met with a small plume of blue smoke, and i knew, my phaser was dead. After getting a battery, i tried it again. now when it's engaged there is no signal, and the rate LED is constantly on. i'm pretty sure i've done damage to one or both of the ICs.  there are no burn marks on any of the traces or components, but there was definitely smoke. all the components i used are stock and i'm pretty sure used a 1N751A for the zener.
here are the readings i got (using a brand new battery)

Q1 (2n5458)
D=3.1
S=3.2
G=1.7

Q2(2n5458
D=3.1
S=3.2
G=1.7

IC1(NE5532)
P1=1.05
P2=1.7
P3=2.2
P4=0
P5=3.7
P6=3.0
P7=1.5
P8=9.3

IC2(NE5532)
P1=8.3
P2=5.5
P3=5.3
P4=0
P5=4.0
P6=4.6
P7=8.6
P8=9.3

Z1(1N751A I THINK)
A=0
K=3.9

anyway, i hope thats everything. if someone could help me out i'd really appreciate it.
Guitar -> Amp

Jaicen_solo

Looks like you've just burned IC1, the other IC's look ok.
Replace that and see if it powers up.

stm

Don't forget to look for the cause of the failure before proceeding, otherwise you may blow the replacement IC as well!

Check if it was mounted reversed, or if there was a chance that some of the pins or connections were shorted to ground/+9V when the board was boxed.

Good luck.

ninoman123

I would also check that power supply. You said it was dodgy when leads me to believe that maybe its unregulated and it was running at above the specs that your ICs could take. Some adaptors will say 9v on the package but are only 9v when run under a certain load. So I would check that with a DMM too.

no one ever

if the adapter's ac, check the diodes.. and read up on r.g.'s reverse polarity articles

because then you have a really frustrating problem.
(chk chk chk)

petemoore

If you have applied AC, I would think the polarized caps may have seen reverse polarity... :o, and 'may' need replaced also.
  The diodes, IC's and polarizedcaps are the only components I can think of that would suffer from power supply issues...
  I'm leaning toward it may be an AC Dapter...the IC's can generally take well over 9v, read the data sheets on your IC's...theyr'e probably able to run on at least a few times more than 9v.
  I bought a Visual Sound One Spot adapter, it reads 9.4v actual, and is completely noise free so far....I had to reverse the polarity of it near the body...then daisy chained it to 9V plugs. Great Deal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.