Fuzz face sunface board - Update --> Now Working! Thanks Mike!

Started by bass_econo, November 15, 2005, 09:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass_econo

OK so I'm trying to wire up the sunface board I got from analogman...  I tried using the wiring scheme below to no avail.  I checked the pinouts of the transistors and it is correct.  I've populated the board stock except for a 20K trim instead of the 10K.  I'm also using a 5K Linear pot for the fuzz and a 100K log for the volume.  I'm using PNP transistors - NKT275(first)  and 2N1175A(second).  When I try checking the voltages I'm getting full voltage on all of the pinouts.  I've checked the board over and I don't see any bad solders or stray wires. 

Has anyone wired one up yet?

Wiring -
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=37748.0

bass_econo

OK so here is how I have it wired.  I still can't figure it out.  HELP!!!
The board is labeled as follow -
vol_pot - pot_cw -  neg - pot_mid - +9V - +9V - in

analogmike

HI,

I don't think you grounded the board. You have the +9V (ground) connected only to the FUZZ pot. Run a ground wire to that wire somewhere to complete the circuit. You can do this either

1) run a new wire from the 2nd +9V pad on the board to a ground point on the jacks etc
2) connect both pots together on the CCW lugs

good luck!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

bass_econo

D'OH!!!  You know as soon as I read your post... :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: I can't believe I missed that.  Geez.  OK thanks Mike!! ;D ;D ;D

jimbob

Now if i can figure out exactly how that extra trim pot is connected. Is one of the lugs on the trim not used? Its the one connected next to the cap.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

analogmike

Quote from: jimbob on November 17, 2005, 12:24:55 PM
Now if i can figure out exactly how that extra trim pot is connected. Is one of the lugs on the trim not used? Its the one connected next to the cap.

yes, it is used as a variable resistor, not a voltage divider.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bass_econo

Seriously Mike, thanks a lot for the parts and the help.  You really didn't HAVE to do any of it.  It is very appreciated!

bass_econo

OK so it's now working since Mike noticed my grounding problem.  Even though I don't have matched transistors it sounds pretty good, maybe just a little dark.  I feared that it would sound like caca with the 2N1175A in there.  Anyway I think it needs a little tweeking because I'm really not getting a whole lot of gain or sustain.  The fuzz pot doesn't get very fuzzy until the end and actually with both pots all the way up it's mild and chunky.  But overall it is pretty cool.

jimbob

Bass Econo-

I used your layout and Mikes advice on the grounding and it turned out great! I used a ac128 I got from the batch of misc parts he sent and an extra pnp I had from small bear. I actually had quite a few Germ pnp to choose from but it didnt take long before I got the sound I was looking for. Now whether its the perfect sound- who knows- but to my ears it sounds great. I think Im going to make another but with the 2nd trim pot- From my reading, Its the sundial thats used to correct temp problems. Ive seen on his site where he gives the option as a exterior knob or an interior trim pot.

Btw- Did you notice much of a volume change with the trim? I couldnt. From what I read its a sort of volume trim?

from analogman.com site

"It also has an internal trim pot which you can see on the top left. This trim pot acts just like turning down the VOLUME knob on your guitar, to clean up the fuzz."

Thanks Mike and Econo! What a great effect!

Yun

Quote from: bass_econo on November 17, 2005, 08:05:29 PM
OK so it's now working since Mike noticed my grounding problem.  Even though I don't have matched transistors it sounds pretty good, maybe just a little dark.  I feared that it would sound like caca with the 2N1175A in there.  Anyway I think it needs a little tweeking because I'm really not getting a whole lot of gain or sustain.  The fuzz pot doesn't get very fuzzy until the end and actually with both pots all the way up it's mild and chunky.  But overall it is pretty cool.

You know, i've ran into A LOT o' problems with that on the Fuzz-Face, man.  however i found a remedy, though i doubt you'll want to hear it, man....

Omit: 470 ohm resistor (of the sort)
Add: 2.2K-ish fixed resistor OR 5K trim-pot to the Emiter of Q2 . 

Now, on a PCB, i doubt you'll be able to do that.  Unless you use a jumper wire instead of a 470 ohm resistor.  As for the 2.2K on the emiter of the second resistor- you guess is as good as mines, man.  Ummmm- there's 2 ways of doing that:

1) Take the tranny out, socket it.  Cut the leads short on the resistor, solder it directly to the emitter, and push into socket. 

2) Cut the trace from ground to emitter, connect a very small 2.2K resistor from ground to emiter. 

Hope i helped, man....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Yun

PS:  i didn't make this up, mr. Tim did.  Kind of.  Ala "The many faces of fuzz" .  i just gathered bits and peices from that article and morphed it into my "personal way of doing a fuzz-Face"....

Sorry, just didn't wanna take credit away from Mr.Tim...........................................Only partial  :icon_lol: J/K
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

jimbob

I would keep it the way it is and wait till you get the right germ trannies. Mine seems to have a lot of gain when needed and it cleans up really well too.

Yun

Quote from: jimbob on November 20, 2005, 05:12:36 PM
I would keep it the way it is and wait till you get the right germ trannies. Mine seems to have a lot of gain when needed and it cleans up really well too.

Definately.  i just posted that as "For future build info" .  I personally would NOT go cutting traces on my sunface board  :icon_lol: ....

bass_econo

Quote from: jimbob on November 20, 2005, 04:12:34 PM
Bass Econo-

I used your layout and Mikes advice on the grounding and it turned out great! I used a ac128 I got from the batch of misc parts he sent and an extra pnp I had from small bear. I actually had quite a few Germ pnp to choose from but it didnt take long before I got the sound I was looking for. Now whether its the perfect sound- who knows- but to my ears it sounds great. I think Im going to make another but with the 2nd trim pot- From my reading, Its the sundial thats used to correct temp problems. Ive seen on his site where he gives the option as a exterior knob or an interior trim pot.

Btw- Did you notice much of a volume change with the trim? I couldnt. From what I read its a sort of volume trim?

That's awesome, glad I could contribute(even though I was wrong...LOL). 
No I really didn't notice much of a change with the trim.  I was going to make another as well as soon as I boxed this one up.  I think I'm really starting to like fuzzes.  I used to only be interested in overdrives but this has changed my mind! I'm going to try a mosfet fuzz next I think and maybe another with germs...LOL.  I guess this fuzz thing is addictive!!

jimbob

" I guess this fuzz thing is addictive!!"

I agree. I actually got it boxed up. I even used the 1kc pot for this! My next will be a  silicon one , maybe using a bc108 or 109 or some npn silicon or npn germ's I have lying around. I have a few diff things Im going to try. Some will have the carbon comp, some carbon film, ect,, I want a few diff kind Im going to try out. For such a  simple little circuit it really is fun to mess with..