Opinions wanted....

Started by Dragonfly, November 16, 2005, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

I'm thinking about adding a "perfboard layouts" section to the Dragonfly folder. Below is a example of what they "might" look like. My questions are....

1) Is the layout easy to read ?
2) Is it easy to tell what each symbol depicts ?
3) Is it easy to understand ? (without the offboard wiring)
4) Is it appealing to the eye ?

Thanks for your opinons !
   Andy

Wild Zebra

I haven't even done a perf board, but it looks pretty clear to me.  Having never done one I would say I could use that layout to successfully build it.
"your stripes are killer bro"

troubledtom

cool, do it bro! thanx for all your effort :icon_twisted:
      peace and good health,
                 - tom
ps: can you do a parrapedal perf layout :icon_biggrin:

Dragonfly

Quote from: troubledtom on November 16, 2005, 03:51:27 PM
cool, do it bro! thanx for all your effort :icon_twisted:
      peace and good health,
                 - tom
ps: can you do a parrapedal perf layout :icon_biggrin:

GIVE ME A MIGHTY ENOUGH PERFBOARD AND THE CORRECT SCHEMATIC AND I CAN RULE THE WORLD !!!!   <MUAH HA HA>   :icon_twisted:

vanhansen

Looks good to me.  You have your own style, and that is a cool thing.

This reminds me, I need to organize my own gallery some...lol.
Erik

johngreene

Is your diagram a top view? Whenever I do perf boards I do the wiring on the bottom so a bottom view would be very helpful IMO.

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

JimRayden

Looks great to me. Though I agree it should be a bottom view or at least have one next to it.

I've never seen bottom-view perfboard layouts but when I think of it, it would actually be at least as helpful as a top view. One would actually need both. Top view for placing components and bottom view to solder.

----------
Jimbo

Dragonfly

Quote from: johngreene on November 16, 2005, 04:08:31 PM
Is your diagram a top view? Whenever I do perf boards I do the wiring on the bottom so a bottom view would be very helpful IMO.

--john

YEP... :)  top view...

the blue lines indicate all the "bottom" connections ....maybe i should figure out something that makes that more clear .....

thanks for the suggestion !

andy

bioroids

Looks cool! For a bottom view you just need to "flip horizontaly" (and of course relabel the components)

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

bluesdevil

Oh hell yeah, Andy!! Looks great!! I'm real glad to see you're gonna do some perf layouts, 'cause I can't stand stripboard.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

8mileshigh

All I've done is perf so it looks dead easy to my eyes. 

What does the Tamale sound like ?  Is this your creation ?

Thanks
Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

johngreene

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 16, 2005, 04:31:50 PM

--john

the blue lines indicate all the "bottom" connections ....maybe i should figure out something that makes that more clear .....

andy

My point was more that when you wire from the bottom, everything is flipped so you need to mentally reverse or continually flip from one side to the other to make sure you have the pins right.

--john

JimRayden

Quote from: johngreene on November 16, 2005, 05:18:24 PM

My point was more that when you wire from the bottom, everything is flipped so you need to mentally reverse or continually flip from one side to the other to make sure you have the pins right.

--john

Ay for that.

As an ol' Estonian saying goes, it's as clear as soapy water. I don't think anything would need to be modified. And I especially love the model of the electrolytic cap.

---------
Jimbo

Dragonfly

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 16, 2005, 04:31:50 PM

--john

andy

--john

yep...i understood...just trying to figure out a way to implement your idea and not confuse people. i took a look at the ROG page, and they show all their layouts from the top....

i guess i could show the top view like above, and then flip the view and remove the parts (showing only the solder connections) to show bottom...what do you think ?

andy

Dragonfly

Quote from: 8mileshigh on November 16, 2005, 05:11:37 PM
What does the Tamale sound like ?  Is this your creation ?

Thanks
Chris

its based on a silicon fuzz face, with some tweaked component values and a fixed gain (use your volume pot to clean it up)...its a really good sounding "all-around" fuzz...i just built one into a crybaby for a friend of mine (he wanted a fuzz-wah)...

andy

johngreene

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 16, 2005, 05:33:20 PM
i guess i could show the top view like above, and then flip the view and remove the parts (showing only the solder connections) to show bottom...what do you think ?

A view from the bottom with the parts shown either as a silhouette or transparent/greyed. You would have to experiement as to what is most visible without getting in the way. But I think you would want some kind of representation of the parts visible from the bottom.

--john

bioroids

I've done this on photoshop, is dead easy to set the transparency of the components and flip the board (you must have them on different layers).

But the original is still fine, and if the effects are not complicated I think its really more than enough.

Luck!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Dragonfly

--john

how 'bout something like this....

Dragonfly

Quote from: johngreene on November 16, 2005, 05:42:43 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on November 16, 2005, 05:33:20 PM

A view from the bottom with the parts shown either as a silhouette or transparent/greyed. You would have to experiement as to what is most visible without getting in the way. But I think you would want some kind of representation of the parts visible from the bottom.

--john

i posted the diagram above "before" i read this post...i'll have to experiment further....

jmasciswannabe

Yes, Dragonfly.....that looks awesome, easy to read, understand, etc.....can't wait to see perf additions to your gallery! I have seen the stripboard galllery several times, but don't have any stripboard.....but perf is super easy to get a hold of.

....the staircase had one too many steps