Opinions wanted....

Started by Dragonfly, November 16, 2005, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

like this ????  (its a quickie, so its messy)

PenPen

Dragonfly,

Would you be willing to take submissions? We could all send you some perf layouts when we design and test them. If so, could you provide a blank sheet for the perf graphic?

Dragonfly

Quote from: PenPen on November 16, 2005, 07:19:42 PM
Dragonfly,

Would you be willing to take submissions? We could all send you some perf layouts when we design and test them. If so, could you provide a blank sheet for the perf graphic?

i could certainly host layouts in my folder (or aron can give you one) ...i used the ROG board template, but i'm sure i could post a template that had the boards AND various parts....

andy

hairyandy

Andy,

I think those look great.  Personally, I think you only need the top view.  I love your stripboard layouts, and Torchy's old ones as well, and I use them to do perf builds a lot.  It's easy really, you just use cut leads to connect the "strips".  Keep 'em coming, stripboard or perf, they're all great.

Good to see you dodged the tornadoes!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Dragonfly

Quote from: hairyandy on November 16, 2005, 09:05:04 PM
Andy,

I think those look great.  Personally, I think you only need the top view.  I love your stripboard layouts, and Torchy's old ones as well, and I use them to do perf builds a lot.  It's easy really, you just use cut leads to connect the "strips".  Keep 'em coming, stripboard or perf, they're all great.

Good to see you dodged the tornadoes!

thanks....

its funny...i decided to take a trip to my parents late yesterday afternoon, and about 5-10 minutes before i arrived, a tornado warning was issued for their county. i continued my drive, but i got a little nervous...  :)

andy

Dragonfly

i posted a set of perfboard templates/parts in my layout gallery...feel free to use it in making your own layouts. one thing...since i used the ROG perf templates (i changed the color), PLEASE be sure to mention www.runoffgroove.com in your layout !

andy

vanhansen

To the newer folks, drawing perf layouts is not all that hard.  Start with the schematic of a small parts layout and then make a layout from there.  The first one will be big, but then you can do it again and see how to make things a little tighter.  Test it out too, make sure no connections are missed.  This is how you/we learn.  Look at my gallery.  There's a few layouts in there of stuff I did.  No, I don't take requests...lol.  Sorry, but just pointing out that a little extra work can go a long way.  ;) :)

Edit:  Forgot something.  It doesn't matter to me whether the layout is top or bottom view.  I'll perf it as I see it but I try to see it from the top view by default.  If I screw up and it's backwards, oh well.  As long as it works.  In the end, that's what counts.

So, IMO, having a top AND bottom view may be more confusing that just having one. :)
Erik

Dragonfly

Quote from: vanhansen on November 16, 2005, 10:19:00 PM

So, IMO, having a top AND bottom view may be more confusing that just having one. :)

thats kinda what i thought too, but certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions...   ;)

jmusser

I think thats a great idea Andy. The only reason I can see to post the bottom of the perf board, is for newbies to use to get their feet wet. The top view was plenty clear to me. That's very nice of you to want to take that on.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

petemoore

I'll bet it gets used, so it'll be useful. Might make for a super quick debug here and there.
  I've always grabbed a piece of perf [except for a few big PCB projects], a schematic...I used to draw stuff out, but started being able to just count how many up and down, and how many side to side holes I need to fit 'x' # of parts on and go to town.
  I make mistakes, not much these days, and can almost invariably find them pretty quickly, not always.
  The point can be made that there is intrinsic and/or actual value drawn from simply staring at a schematic. Often times I'll get light bulbs going off on how the circuit I'm looking at works, and what might make it work better for me.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tatems

Looking really good!
Keep up the awsome work, and thanks for your layouts!  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

tatems
It is I, Murdock the Mind Stealer

chaddhamilton

I'm a newb, and I think the single (first) layout is easy to follow and I could confidently build that effect on that view alone.

btw, your vero layouts rock.  Thanks for taking the time to do those.

Rock on.

MartyMart

I found the topview to be very clear.
Built it, sounds great ... a nice "Fat N Chewy" Fuzz  :D

Cheers Andy,

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Lonzo

Perf board is the only method I've used although I'm trying to inch my way into etching my own boards. 
That being said, I've screwed up plenty of builds b/c I flipped the board over and didn't flip my mind...so to speak.

The back side view is a great idea. 

Thanks for your generosity.   

petemoore

I'm pretty sure sometimes it requires 'spying' it from a row, along a line of view just off the egde of the board, I know I have trouble finding 'that' exact hole which is easy to view from the top of board, easily mistaken for an adjacent node on the circuit board. Sometimes I even count rows and columns to gain coordinates of that hole in the bottom of the board.
  A while back I started using the top of the board more, this makes sighting and probe access MUCH easier in many circumstances, like finding errors, taking voltage readings, cold solders from socket to R lead etc. More reference points are instantly sightable, it makes it easier for me to tell where I am on a circuit.
  Soldering leads to leads above board seems to work out fine, I consider 'span stresses' and limit hanging gardens by using the pads below.
  It does need for more pre-contemplation, like chess, getting started, then thinking at least 3 moves ahead.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: MartyMart on November 18, 2005, 12:19:13 PM
I found the topview to be very clear.
Built it, sounds great ... a nice "Fat N Chewy" Fuzz  :D

Cheers Andy,

Marty.

:) ....i like it too...great "all around" silicon fuzz....ez to build...

btw...got your care package...yours will be on its way in the next few days...thanks !  it was WAY above and beyond the call of duty, so to speak! (cant wait to start the transistor tryouts !

andy

pc...i'll bet those OC140's would sound great in the Hot Tamale fuzz, with some slight tweaks....

Alex C

I think the top view is sufficient as well, and the offboard wiring shouldn't be an issue, as long as the "1", "2", and "3" lugs of the pots are the conventional "top view left-to-right" (which appears to be the case here).  When viewing layouts it quickly becomes second nature to see "through" the board and components.

Very nicely done, I say.  Thanks for more contributions.

-Alex

EDIT: I should add that the lugs of the pot are facing you in my description..