Cold Solder-er...what's the deal here again?

Started by petemoore, November 21, 2005, 02:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLD-HEAT-SOLDERING-TOOL-BEVEL-TIP-AS-SEEN-ON-TV_W0QQitemZ4419205418QQcategoryZ46413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  My friend keeeps urging me to try one of these, sending me testimonials and news articles, it purports to be able to solder 18ga wire...so...what's the deal...does it?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Peter Snowberg

$21 with shipping plus the cost of batteries...

Just try to solder to the back of a pot with it, or for that matter a PCB with a little ground plane attached.  :D

Notice how they don't show them trying to solder a tab on a switchcraft jack.  :icon_razz:

For $39+shipping you can have a real-deal temperature controlled iron that will solder 10 guage wire.

If your friend is so hot for you to get one, perhaps they should get one to show you how well they like it in three months. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

formerMember1

i bought one, it sucks, can't even give it away.  Called the company for a refund, and they refunded the money, and wouldn't even take the iron back, then they sent me another one.  called them back, and they wouldn't take it.  So i have two and cost me nothing, the wire stripper is actually pretty good, but only works on battery wires and radio shack wire, it doesn't strip my Belden 22awg wire at all.

I even lent it to a music store in my area, becuase i thought, maybe i was doing something wrong, he hated it too, also you can't use it on transistors or other parts, becuase it emmits a charge that blows out components,  plus it is so hard to get both prongs on the tip to touch the same area where you are soldering,  plus you need to buy another tip off them, and that is like 5 bucks or more,..

bottome line it sucks,

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks CD, you saved me sending that post again :icon_biggrin:

wampcat1

Quote from: cd on November 21, 2005, 03:10:07 PM
The deal is, stop being lazy and use the search:

:icon_confused:

The Tone God

Good Wampcat. :::pats head::: ;) (I saw the original post)

Back to topic.

Cold Heat is to soldering as The Pocket Fishermen is to fishing. Yeah it sorta does the job somewhat but its still a gimicky piece of crap.

Now I have to go water my Chia Head.

Andrew

wampcat1

Quote from: The Tone God on November 22, 2005, 03:21:26 PM
Good Wampcat. :::pats head::: ;) (I saw the original post)

Back to topic.

Cold Heat is to soldering as The Pocket Fishermen is to fishing. Yeah it sorta does the job somewhat but its still a gimicky piece of crap.

Now I have to go water my Chia Head.

Andrew
:icon_mrgreen:
You caught me - I suffer from hotheadedness! hehe!!! :icon_lol:

BTW- what is a pocket fisherman?

formerMember1

Mark Hammer

My son bought me one for a birthday present earlier this year.  I can't say it "sucks" because, well, my SON bought it for me.  I *can* say that it "works" but requires a number of conditions to be satisfied in order to accomplish a working solder joint.  Those conditions would seem to be a little too fussy for most folks here.  Too bad.  Would have been really handy.

cd

Yeah, I'm a surly a*hole, what else is new.  You'd think 7692 posts (and counting) would result in some common sense when it comes to this forum, but I guess not.  And surely the answer to the original question becomes sorely obvious in one of the 7 links I posted.  Here's another (NO, this is not a GFY site):

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041130.gtcoldheatnov30/BNStory/TechReviews/

wampcat1

Quote from: formerMember1 on November 22, 2005, 03:36:09 PM
i think it is a little video game,  :icon_neutral:

I think I found it:

"The famous Popeil Pocket Fisherman fits in your glove compartment, luggage, briefcase, backpack, hangs on your belt, and can even fit in your pocket! The rod folds under the handle for compact storage, while the handle itself is a mini tackle box with extra hooks and sinker storage."

I guess I suffer from laziness too!  :icon_lol:

wampcat1

Quote from: cd on November 22, 2005, 03:42:41 PM
Yeah, I'm a surly a*hole, what else is new.  You'd think 7692 posts (and counting) would result in some common sense when it comes to this forum, but I guess not.  And surely the answer to the original question becomes sorely obvious in one of the 7 links I posted.  Here's another (NO, this is not a GFY site):

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041130.gtcoldheatnov30/BNStory/TechReviews/

It's ok, I forgive you.
:icon_smile:

The Tone God

To furthur add "The Pocket Fisherman" was one of the first gimick things to be sold on an infomerical by Ron Popeil. The idea was that you could go fishing on your lunch break and catch diner. It is the butt of many jokes.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/pocketfisherman.htm?gid=

Andrew

Mark Hammer

Randy Bachman (Guess Who, Brave Belt, Bachman-Turner Overdrive) has been doing a Saturday night show on CBC radio since the beginning of the summer ( http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/index.jsp?program=Randy+Bachman's+Vinyl+Tap ).  He has been working his way through a list of the 100 greatest gadgets/inventions, and the pocket fisherman is somewhere in the top 10 as far as he is concerned.

formerMember1

cool, that is neat, there is times when you could actually use it, like fishing along a small creek,.. no really, i like it,...  :D

wampcat1

Now a pocket COFFEE MAKER...THAT'S what we need! Seriously!!  :icon_lol:
I know there is many a time when after a gig a "good" cup of coffee sounds wonderful after drinking burnt, stale coffee from the bar (Which is only mildly better than the coffee one experiences in the Nashville studios...talk about BAD COFFEE!  :icon_eek: ).