Flanging the forum again: Boss Dimension C: zero-flanging?!

Started by Steben, November 21, 2005, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

• SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Mark Hammer

Been there done that, fully documented by Scott "DIY Freque" Stites on his website ( Now why the heck can't I find it? ), and discussed at excruciating length earlier this year. 

Steben

Ok, very good. thanks anyway.
Seems I went a bit through a BBD myself this spring ...;D

euhm...Did it work?... Wait I'll search!  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Dave_B

Help build our Wiki!

DiyFreaque

I really should make some better samples of the TZF function and put them up on my site.

The TZF tap is an opportunistic tap after the companders of the Dim C (Mike Irwin found the sweet spot for it).  At that point, the signal is pre-emphasized to the treble end (it occurs before the demphasis).  I left mine pre-emphasized because I got a more obvious effect out of it, though I'm considering going in and toning it down just a tad.

It's a good TZF sound, though most likely not near as intense as a box designed specifically for TZF.  It's still quite satisfying.

As an aside, if you can slow down the LFO considerably, Mode 2 can render a nice, restrained TZF sound without the tap point - it puts a nice edgy flangery sound on the signal. Mode 2 has the longest sweep at the slowest LFO rate. The original signal is still mixed in, but I found it to be a nice effect.  On the Dim C, I've got a switch that allows me to manually set one or both delays - it sounds really good with one delay stationary and the other moving back and forth past it in delay time.  It still sounds good with both delays moving though (and that would be much less of a mod for a Dimension C).  If one put in a switch to put larger value caps in parallel with the normal LFO caps, the Dimension C's range of effects could be increased greatly.  I think with a distortion unit before the Dim C in this mode, one would be surprised at the transformation.

I have a snippet of Mode 2 with slow modulation included in it.  Warning - I wasn't looking to focus on this function, it's a clip I was recording of my Multi-sequencer project, so it's a piss-poor example.  Out of 1:06, there's maybe 8 seconds of the slowed down Mode 2 modulation, in two four second parts of it.  It's the only example I have here (ostensibly at work  ;)  ).  Still, if one wants to hear:

http://media.putfile.com/Mode-2-Slow-Mod

From approximately 0:39 to 0:43 I un-bypass the Dim C.  This section has a lot of lower harmonic content, and the effect is more of a subtle background enhancement.

From approximately 0:52 to 0:56, I I un-bypass the Dim C.  This section is a bit more obvious as there's more high frequency content in it.

I'll record specific examples of slowed down, flanger-like Dim C content later this week if anyone's interested.

Cheerio,
Scott