SSS (Super Simple Switcher) Up at GGG

Started by Dean Hazelwanter, November 29, 2005, 08:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean Hazelwanter

R.G.

Looks pretty good.

Wnen I did my first version of a patched switcher, I went back and forth a long time over whether to make one gigantic PCB or make it modular - one small PCB per loop plus a controller board. In the end I made it two semi-gigantic boards. I'm still not sure that was the right decision.

I like your Y cables. It cleans up the issue of how many danged jacks were needed and lets you get down to a more moderate sized PCB. I used two jacks per loop instead of one stereo jack, so it had double the number of jacks.

If I might make a suggestion - for something like a loop switcher, the biggest part of the effort in getting it working is not the electronics, it's the mechanics. You suggested an enclosure; it would be really helpful for the beginner if you included a mechanical layout for actually cutting holes in the box to fit this thing into it.

I think a lot of people will enjoy this one.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MartyMart

You also win an award for the most 1N4148's on a PCB !!

Nice work Dean,

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Dean Hazelwanter

Thanks for the kind words Marty, and especially RG.  :icon_biggrin:

If I get a chance, I'll do as you suggest by gettting together some assembly diagrams, but it could be awhile. I sent JD some pictures of the completed PCB. Maybe he'll include them in with the project.

By the way, what do you think of the new schematic format used in this project? Previous projects (MobiusTrip etc) used Ivex WinDraft, but I never liked it's inability to output to common formats (gif, jpg). On this one I switched to the same program I do all my PCB layouts with - EasyTrax. I went with EasyTrax for PCBs almost 10 years ago based on RG's recommendation. Over 200 layouts later, I still go to GEO when starting a project as research 'to see how the Master did it'.   :)

Delay

Great Project!!!
I've some questions..'cause i'm quite a beginner..!  ;D

1) What kind of switches I should use? SPST/SPDT/DPDT, momentary or not..?

2) Jacks are normal stereo jacks pcb mounted like these ones http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=489?

Thanks!!!
                         Filippo.

j.frad

Great project! I've been thinking of something like this for a while too, it's too bad that enabling a patch doesn't disable the previous one, but that would require a lot more relays! I really like the dip switches!

Dean Hazelwanter

Thanks for the comments. :)

The foot switches can be SPST ON-OFF type, not momentary contact. Of course you could also use SPDT, DPST, DPDT, 3PDT etc, just not momentary contact.

The jacks you linked to aren't pcb-mount units. You could probably use them if you wanted to run wires to them, but using the right jacks makes it so much easier. I thought Small Bear might carry them, but didn't see them. I always got mine from Mouser (Re-an). I'll do some digging and try to find some part numbers. I also picked up a whole whack of knock-offs from some company blowing off old stock on ebay. While I wouldn't use these knock-offs in a mission-critical rig, they do work.

Steben

Quote from: Delay on December 01, 2005, 05:46:26 PM
Great Project!!!
I've some questions..'cause i'm quite a beginner..!  ;D

1) What kind of switches I should use? SPST/SPDT/DPDT, momentary or not..?

2) Jacks are normal stereo jacks pcb mounted like these ones http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=489?

Thanks!!!
                         Filippo.

You need these:

http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=488

You clicked one too early in the list  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Dean Hazelwanter