My "Full Beard" fuzz ... Update with pix and Soundclip!

Started by Melanhead, December 01, 2005, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanhead

Well after a bit of playing around with some ideas from from the FullTone 70's pedal and mods/tweaks from other fuzzes I give you the Melanhead "FullBeard" ...

I love this thing and it sounds wonderfull ...

Soundclip: http://users.eastlink.ca/~melanhead/MP3/FullBeard.mp3

Picture of the pedal: http://users.eastlink.ca/~melanhead/PIX/FullBeardWeb.jpg

Done with Xerox window decals ... and Inkjet printer

This is the first schematic I've drawn so hopefully it's okay ...

I modded Torchy's '70's Fuzz Vero layout to build it. I don't feel right about posting the layout though without Torchy's permission and have no way of getting a hold of him ...

The tweaks (  thanks to Mojotron and others )

I used the smallbear BC108 for Q1 ( HFE ~ 250 ) and Q2 ( HFE ~ 450 )
Added a 10k resistor in series with the input to get rid of the Radio
Changed the input cap to 1uf Metal Film, to reduce mush.
Changed the cap across the Collector of Q1 and Q2 to 47pf
and some pot changes as well.

Thoughts ?

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/melanhead/FullBeard?full=1

Yun

It would help if i could "see it all at once", man.  The image is too big. 

But from what i can see, looks pretty good, dude!  Do you have any sound samples eh?
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

MartyMart

Bob, looks great ! nice one :D

Yun, you need a bigger screen my son  !   :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

jrc4558

Sorry for offtopic, but:
Is that a Leafs shirt???

Melanhead

Quote from: Constantin Necrasov on December 01, 2005, 12:08:16 PM
Sorry for offtopic, but:
Is that a Leafs shirt???

Yup!, I'm a Hockey Nut! ...

Melanhead

Quote from: Yun on December 01, 2005, 11:27:23 AM
It would help if i could "see it all at once", man.  The image is too big. 

But from what i can see, looks pretty good, dude!  Do you have any sound samples eh?

Sorry 'bout that  :icon_redface: it's smaller now, probably too small ... I'll try and take some pix and sound samples tonight ...

Up now!

Melanhead

Quote from: MartyMart on December 01, 2005, 11:36:57 AM
Bob, looks great ! nice one :D

Yun, you need a bigger screen my son  !   :D

Marty.

:icon_mrgreen:

Doug_H

Melanhead

Burstbucker

Hey Bob,

Nice work, sounds nice and fat just like a good Fuzz should.  I like the fact that it's in a small enclosure, kinda looks like Fuller's OCD layout.  Way more practical than my Fuzzes built with skillet pans!
8^)

You also did a super job on the schematic, very easy to read.

Melanhead

Quote from: Burstbucker on December 02, 2005, 06:03:16 AM
Hey Bob,

Nice work, sounds nice and fat just like a good Fuzz should.  I like the fact that it's in a small enclosure, kinda looks like Fuller's OCD layout.  Way more practical than my Fuzzes built with skillet pans!
8^)

You also did a super job on the schematic, very easy to read.

Thanks! ... I built one in a BB box as well but my pedal board is getting filled up pretty quick! ... the smaller the better :)

shredgd

Hi,

Melanhead, we both did very similar mods to this pedal, we probably have similar ears...!
    I built this pedal some time ago and I also came out with 47p instead of 10p across Q1 and Q2's collectors, to remove harshness. I'm wondering if who drew the schematic actually meant 100p there. Unfortunately I didn't think about socketing it so I can't try a 100p. Anyway I'm happy with 47p.
    I, too, changed the volume pot value, but I decided to make it the same as the original fuzz (500k, while the schematic said 250k), because I found the pedal too trebly and this should keep more bass. I did the change at the same time I did the cap change though, so I can't say how much this mod effected the overall sound improvement.
    I didn't change anything in the rest of the circuit, but I realized I prefer bc108s in Q1 and Q2, too - mine have an HFE of about 220 and 310, respectively.

What I want to ask you is: how do you like/keep the mid pot? And how do you keep it while you're setting the bias (as the mid pot influnces Q2's collector voltage)? I personally like it at about 9 o'clock, which corresponds to a resistance of about 330 ohm between +9v and R7 (considering R6's contribution), the same value as germanium fuzz faces, and I set the bias to about 5.2v while the mid pot is in that position. I'm wondering if I'm doing right, though.

If I manage to find the time, I will record a sample of my pedal, as well.
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

jmusser

Hey Gus, I don't see you post too often, so I was wondering how long the "Fuzz Face Type Fuzz" has been out? I haven't been over to the main schematic page for awhile. I'll have to give it a whirl.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Melanhead

Quote from: shredgd on December 04, 2005, 12:47:14 PM
Hi,

Melanhead, we both did very similar mods to this pedal, we probably have similar ears...!
    I built this pedal some time ago and I also came out with 47p instead of 10p across Q1 and Q2's collectors, to remove harshness. I'm wondering if who drew the schematic actually meant 100p there. Unfortunately I didn't think about socketing it so I can't try a 100p. Anyway I'm happy with 47p.
    I, too, changed the volume pot value, but I decided to make it the same as the original fuzz (500k, while the schematic said 250k), because I found the pedal too trebly and this should keep more bass. I did the change at the same time I did the cap change though, so I can't say how much this mod effected the overall sound improvement.
    I didn't change anything in the rest of the circuit, but I realized I prefer bc108s in Q1 and Q2, too - mine have an HFE of about 220 and 310, respectively.

What I want to ask you is: how do you like/keep the mid pot? And how do you keep it while you're setting the bias (as the mid pot influnces Q2's collector voltage)? I personally like it at about 9 o'clock, which corresponds to a resistance of about 330 ohm between +9v and R7 (considering R6's contribution), the same value as germanium fuzz faces, and I set the bias to about 5.2v while the mid pot is in that position. I'm wondering if I'm doing right, though.

If I manage to find the time, I will record a sample of my pedal, as well.

Cool! ... The mid pot, all the way up! ... I set the bias with my ears, ( I'm not much of a techy so that's all I have have at times :)  ) I think on the schematic I noted it as about 6.5v with my first one,that seemed to be the sweet spot on it,  but I'm assuming it's gonna be different all the time ... I think around 4.5v would be normal then start from there, but I'm not sure ;)