Ok,Tremolo time

Started by Toney, December 01, 2005, 06:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toney

Tossing up btw EA, Kay and Colorsound....... probably do "the usual" and build em all...

Has anyone had a go at the Bigman Colorsound layout yet??
here.....http://aronnelson.com/gallery/TheBigMan-Layouts/ct_ver2

Neat job arranging the bits....

vdm

Hey!

I have nothing but praise for the EA trem now. Hadn't used a tremolo before I built one last week. Took it to the gig I had last nite and apart from it being the best gig I think I've played, the EA gave some great textures and has that ability to boost your signal to make the effect just a tad more pronounced.

It doesnt go terribly fast (~8hz using the ROG layout/schem) but at that speed it can give a really nice choppy effect to a solo. The smooth waveform is really nice and seems just like a trem should be. Very vintage sounding.

Anyway.. good luck, and after last nite I have concluded my boost pedal needs a LED (it sucks to not know if you're playing louder or if its the pedal :-\)

joelap

I'm considering building a clone kit of the EA tremolo myself found on www.buildyourownclone.com.  I'm not really a tremolo buff, and the guy who runs that site has excellent kits, great customer service, and is a real down to earth guy.  The reason I'm interested in that trem is I'm still new to the "building pedals from scratch" game, and I'd like to get at least one more kit under my belt before I go for a complete build.  The other reason is, if you look in the instructions section "mods", it has a 25k trimpot that if tinkered with, it can give probably 15-20 dB of boost.  I'm planning on drilling a hole on the side of the pedal to pop a 25k pot on for a volume thing.  When I'm not using the pedal as a tremolo, I can turn the depth all the way down and turn the volume up for a clean Jfet boost.  Even though I've got a tribooster kit by them, I bought a talkbox and need cash so I'm trying to sell the tribooster.

Im interested to see what people say about that link you posted.  Seems cool.

Joe
- witty sig -

Toney

Well, board prepared for EA , kinda got fascinated and have to go there.
Seems to be a DIY right of passage anyhow.
Built another Orange squeezer and  Bosstone today.
Help me, I'm becoming an addict...
Practice................................ I vaguely remember that.....................

That Colorsound, anyone done that layout yet?

MartyMart

"HAMMER TIME"

DOO DO DO DO .. DO DO.. DO DO..  can't touch this !

Sorry, I couldn't resist that  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Toney

Ha ha ...........
Bye the way MM I'll have that Unidrive layout up this weekend.
I've built it as per my layout but not been able to fire it up due to um..... political differences re loud music with the the real boss. Am in being extra nice to her for the greater good mode at the mo.
Wanna verify before posting.

MartyMart

Quote from: Toney on December 02, 2005, 04:58:49 AM

Ha ha ...........
Bye the way MM I'll have that Unidrive layout up this weekend.
I've built it as per my layout but not been able to fire it up due to um..... political differences re loud music with the the real boss. Am in being extra nice to her for the greater good mode at the mo.
Wanna verify before posting.

Yup, it pays to keep "the boss" happy  :D
jmusser calls it the "honey do" time,  you know, when you're about to fire up the soldering iron
or your amp rig, it's ......... " honey do this" and "honey do that"  !  hee hee ...

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

robotboy

You should also check out the tremulus lune. It's the best tremelo I've ever used.

Paul Marossy

I built the original EA Tremolo circuit, and I love it. I should give that Tremulous Lune a shot sometime...

squidsquad

To those about to build the EA Trem:  In case you didn't read it in a search....by changing the trio of .1 caps to a trio of .068....you will get up to *Too Much To Dream* speed...and slow is still slow.
And yes...the clean FET boost IS nice!

squidsquad

And also...don't overlook these fine simple additions from Drangonfly Andy!

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/The-Mod-Zone-%21

Toney

Thanks Squidsquad.
I'm doing it right now. Gonna incorporate both the DF slow mod and the double rate mods with a rotary switch.
Ooo look, fast AND slow....

joelap

Quote from: Toney on December 02, 2005, 06:43:10 PM

Thanks Squidsquad.
I'm doing it right now. Gonna incorporate both the DF slow mod and the double rate mods with a rotary switch.
Ooo look, fast AND slow....

Let me know how that works out.  An EA trem is the next pedal build on my list.

Joe
- witty sig -

Processaurus

For EA trem, a nice way to get past the speed limit of the phase shift oscillator is to to just build 2 of the oscillators, one with smaller caps than the other.  They are really simple, and don't take nearly any power.  Have a knob  and a blinky LED for both of them.  Then you could footswitch between them, which one goes to the JFET.  Also a 100k reverse log (C taper) pot for the speed control is really nice, so the action isn't bunched up at one end.  A 500k linear pot with a 120K resistor from one of the outer lugs to the wiper would fake the reverse taper nicely.  A big knob located where you can adjust the speed with your foot for is primo.

Have fun