Was the Mosrite made Guild Foxey Lady made with germaniums?

Started by vanessa, December 02, 2005, 02:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanessa

I have read that the original Guild Foxey Lady's were made by Mosrite and were essentially a Fuzzrite re-boxed. Does anyone know if these were the germanium version or the silicon?

Pedal love

I used to own a rare, foxey lady prototype. The transistors were  2n5133 npn silicons. pl

Pedal love

It was a top and two wooden sides. I got it from pedalman of ny. If you want, I made schematics.pl

Pedal love

Sure just pm me and I'll send it pm, but not here.pl

Dan N

geofx.com has a schematic for the EH Axis / Guild Foxey Lady fuzz.

I know the Mosrite Fuzzrite had a couple different names (pro fuzz, fuzz suzz(?)), but I never heard of them doing one for Guild.

Pedal love

Eddie Sanner, the engineer who designed the Fuzzrite was approached at NAMM 1967, to build a fuzz for Guild. The Foxey Lady at first, was simply a repackaged Fuzzrite. Mosrite went under and couldn't build them anymore. They decided to approach Bill Burkoe, a tech from New York City to build a different version of the Guild Foxey Lady.pl

Mark Hammer

A fair number of products during the early E-H years and the fuzzy, blurry years when Guild and E-H seemed to overlap, used 2N5133 transistors.  For whatever reasons (perhaps somebody bought too many of them and they has to be used up), the 2N5133 ended up being used in the LPB, the Screaming Bird, Mole, some issues of BMP, the Muff Fuzz, and so on.  I have (for the moment) a hex-octave divider by Guild which ALSO uses 2N5133 transistors pretty much throughout.  I'm not saying one can date products with any precision by means of these parts, but boy oh boy, if it was made in NYC in the late 60's, there is a damn good chance it had 2N5133's in it.

And please, folks, no super-mojo rumours started about these transistors.  Not all of these products were that good.

Pedal love

Understand the prototype I purchased functioned well. I'm sure it sounded as good as ever, which is rare in an older pedal. I have played many vintage fuzz/boosters over the years and its a good sounding circuit, but not great.pl 

Pedal love

I guess a few of you would like to see a redone schematic of my Guild Foxey Lady prototype.
Merry Christmas

Mark Hammer

Holy Moly.  The Foxey Lady, Mosrite Fuzz-Rite and Shin-Ei FY-2 are pretty damn close, aren't they?  Same basic principle in all three: two single-transistor stages, one driving the other, and a fuzz amount control panning between their respectve outputs.

petemoore

The 500k Fuzzpot looks like a negative feedback loop.
  Have you tried eliminating Q1C to Fuzzpot connection?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Well that's the interesting aspect of the circuit - it kind of goes both ways.  The signal has two output paths, one from Q1c and the other from Q2c. They each go to an outside lug of the pot whih pans between them just likethe tone control on a BMP does.  I adopted this tunnel-vision approach when I whipped up the Roseyray.  I figured I'd have two different cascaded distortions, and pan between the first one in the series and the second one.

Of course the signal doesn't really pay attention to how we think, especially with nonpolarized caps in the signal path.  Consequently Pete is absolutely correct that the Fuzz control represents not only two different paths "out" of the circuit, but a way for the second output to get back "into" the circuit.  A SPST toggle that simply lifts the connection between the Q1 output and the "pan pot" Fuzz control would probably be a useful idea, as would any sort of strategic filtering of the Q2 feedback path via the fuzz pot.  I might suggest starting with a cap from the Fuzz wiper to ground.  The two legs of the Fuzz pot and cap to ground will form two diferent lowpass rolloff points.

Pedal love

That would be a good change. I really don't design much, this is the schematic I promised some people and it looks lousy but, I was told by pedalman of NY, it was designed by Mike Matthew and Bill Burkoe. Who knows?pl

Pedal love

Guys I thought I was very meticulous. I'm afraid I am not sure about the voltage divider resistors on the collector of q2. I think the resistors are 47k and 100k from collector-q2 to the circuit's b+. Unfortunately, it could be the other way around. Sorry.pl