transistor types in commercial pedals

Started by Chef, December 04, 2005, 08:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chef

Does anyone know where i can find information on which transistors are used in which commercial overdrive/distortion pedals? Or does anyone know whether for example all Boss OD/DS pedals use the same transistors and if so what type are they (germanium/silicon....)?

many thanks

Adam

R.G.

Yes, but you won't like it.

The way to do this is to look. Either open up the pedal or find a schematic on the net.

There is no compendium of transistors per effect that I know of. Germanium is very much the exception,  not the rule. Pedals with germanium devices tend to crow about it in their advertising.

Beyond that, in most instances it does not matter exactly what type number is used.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Chef

Ah,

So would you say its how the circuit is put together as opposed to what specific components are used?  Are there any components where choosing one type over another will radically change the tone of the distortion?

Adam

gez

Quote from: Chef on December 04, 2005, 09:42:33 AM
Are there any components where choosing one type over another will radically change the tone of the distortion?

Well, as far as trannies go some are quieter than others...which would be my first consideration when choosing one, especially if it's for an overdrive.  Then I'd do what I always do and use a MOSFET instead!  :icon_razz:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Chef

I think i need to know the very basics on how stomp boxes produce distortion.  Do you know a site that explains the very basic principles of how these things work.  Most DIY websites assume you know how these things work and take it from there but i've not come across one site that says "this is a diode and it you need to put one here because of this reason, this is an op amp and you need to put one here because it will turn up the voltage so that this can happen.....etc.

Think i need a micky mouse piccture book explaining it all......maybe with a sing along tape too?

Any suggestions

Adam