"Mesa PNP" BMP Conversion

Started by petemoore, December 04, 2005, 03:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I found these Mesa Ge's in a Reciever/amp console unit I stripped the chassis from to make a tube amp in.
  First was the FF, one smooth FF using 1 Mesa 2SA176.
  I've just converted a HG/LN Transistor [2n5089's/NTE47's] Big Muff Triangle to PNP Pos. Gnd. and installed 3 Mesa's and one NTE103 [for gain recovery].
  It now beckons for a box /w nice look, PS Jack and St.switch. Very Smooth sounding BMP Grind Tone to it.  >:( not sure when I'll ever see more Q's like these, or what differences are between 'planar technology' and 'Mesa' Ge transistors, performance wise these Mesa's do sound smooth, I'd guess the have less high frequency response.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Except for the color of the body where the pins come out and the markings, they look very similar to NTE158 {'flat' sided]

petemoore

test...and the markings where the pin comes out, they look very similar in appearance to the NTE158's.
  I now have some of these in
  A PNP Pos Gnd Triangle BMP [Q's 1, 2, 3, and 4 is an NTE103] I never like BMP much, this pedal is the bees knees.
  A TB 3K [three knob bender] as Q2, chosen for smooth grind characteristic.
  Mesa means Hill: Think Round, really amazing units.