Torchy's ROG May Queen Question

Started by alteredsounds, December 05, 2005, 06:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alteredsounds

Just finished putting it together and wondered a coupla things.  From looking at Torchy's layout I'm not 100% sure about how the pot is connected?  Is it just the 2 outside lugs? Also, am I right that the output is from somewhere around that last cap?

1 last thing, I have only 100 + 500k trimpots, can I just put a 10k resistor across there until I get some new bits?

Thanks all! :)

Eirik

Hi!

I've been thinking of building that May Queen myself for quite some time. Guess I'm gonna have do it soon :)
You are right about the pot lugs. The first lug connects to the signal chain and the third one to ground.
The centerlug however, is where you want to get your outputsignal from, so that's where you should connect your output jack.
Hope that clears things up :)

Eirik
Eirik

alteredsounds

Thanks for that, thought I'd check before I solder them up.  I guess by putting a 10k resistor in place of the trim pot it would work but I wont be able to 'fine tune' it?

MartyMart

You could use your 100k, but since it will be "way down" on its range to work,
( at about 6-10k) it could be a delicate fine tune !!

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Eirik

Ooops! forgot about the trimmer...
If you solder that 10k resistor in paraleell with your 500k trimpot you will have gotten yourself a 9.8k trimmer,
and so you should be able to tue it to bias the fet.  :)

Good luck! I would be interested in a report of what it sounds like when it's finished :icon_cool:

Eirik
Eirik

alteredsounds

alteredsounds

Got it working, really quick and satisying build.  Very very nice tone, much more distorted than I expected, but in a good way.  Very easy to do pinch harmonics and good sustain.  I might play about with that optional cap to see if I can get some of the top-end hiss down a bit and look at how to get a gain control on there.  Def one I'm gonna box though. :)

Eirik

Cool! :icon_cool:
Do you get that "wall of ac 30's" sound from it?
I've heard the soundclips over at ROG and I've been thinking it would sound great when played trough some tubes :)
Eirik

alteredsounds

I've been playing it through my DSL100 Marshall and 2 4x12 cabs and it sounds wicked!  Kept the Marshall totally clean but this thing really kicks out the dirt!  Quite alot of hiss and hum (prob just the earthing).  Used a stock US Strat with Gold Lace Sensors, amazing on the neck p/up and also ran a '79 Tele through it which pumped up the hum a bit but just rocked!  Def build it, cant belive something so small sounds this good lol :)