Tech 21 XXL build question ...

Started by MartyMart, December 07, 2005, 08:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29094.0

Here's J Luja's nice schematic.
Can I just ignore all the switching circuit and use a single TL072, with perhaps
just a vol recovery stage after the volume pot ?
So I keep warp/gain/tone/vol pots and circuitry ....

Thanks,
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

stm

Quote from: MartyMart on December 07, 2005, 08:00:12 AM
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29094.0

Here's J Luja's nice schematic.
Can I just ignore all the switching circuit and use a single TL072, with perhaps
just a vol recovery stage after the volume pot ?
So I keep warp/gain/tone/vol pots and circuitry ....

Thanks,
MM.

Certainly! Really simple and compact circuit.

Take notice the two opamps are of different type TL072 and TLC2262, and we know from the GT-2 experience that there is a sonic difference in the way they clip. You will need to try with both types and see which one you like best, or use a TL071 for the first one, and then a TLC2262 and use the second half of it for the output buffer stage (recommended).

Good luck!

MartyMart

Thanks stm, it was looking quite "straight forward" ..... and that's when I start to panic !!
I've got some 2262's coming ..... but have decided to use a single ic and a simple volrec
with an MPSA18  !
Do you think "after vol pot" or shift it to before vol pot ??
So,  tone circuit -> recovery -> 100k pot ( without the "VB" connection )

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

stm

The original circuit has a buffer stage (unity gain), not a gain recovery stage. As such, I would simple use the transistor as an emitter follower (let's say with a 4k7 to 10k emitter resistor) after at the volume pot wiper.

H S

Isn't the Tech 21 XXL in the "No Clone Zone"?  It's in current production, it's only about 10 years old, and it's not a clone of anything else.