What does a leaky germanium transistor sound like?

Started by vanessa, December 07, 2005, 10:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

Following RG, in most cases we could get good sounds from junction-leaky Ge by setting/fixing the bias :icon_question: .
If true, we all could use those transistors we discarded for their leakiness in other projects :icon_biggrin: .

But why junction-leaky Ge does not sound so good in a Fuzz Face even if they are properly biased???
I guess that the weak bias design of the circuit and/or the feedback resistor have something to do.

About the temp stability, I saw a schem with a 33k thermistor ('99 reissue?). This thermistor must have a temp coefficient equal in magnitude to that of Q1 but of opposite sign ( Ctherm = - Cq1 ) ???

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

mac

Quote from: vanessa on December 08, 2005, 09:02:11 PM
Guess what!

I was a leaky stab diode...

Mac got me thinking about that stab diode so I went on the Brit Face page, they talk about it should work great unless you have a leaky transistor (which I tested and found not to be the case) or a leaky diode. I pulled the diode and wham-o! Problem solved.

I got the diode from Futurlec, so I guess I got what I paid for...  :icon_redface:

As I said before the ge diode stab trick didnt worked for me. Now I know why. The ge diode I used and the transistor of my FF have different thermal coefficients, so I used another transistor of the same type as a reverse diode. That worked a lot better since they have the same bahaviour when temp changes.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84