Cut Bass in BSIAB II mod?

Started by hilbi, December 09, 2005, 10:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilbi

Is there a mod for the BSIAB II to cut some bass (punchiness)?
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

WGTP

The cap's between the 2 Jfets in the mu-amp have a significant effect on the bass and overall tone.  Reduce those for less bass.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Headshot

Could you expand on this??  What is a Mu amp, and where is it in the BSIAB II circuit?

Thanks.

dosmun

The BSIAB is based on Jack Ormans Mini Tubes which is 2 Mini Boosters.  The
Mini Booster ia also known as a mu-amp

hilbi

Can someone tell me wich caps these exactly are? See schematica above.
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

DuncanM

You could try reducing C2 (or C4) or C7 (or C12) depending if you want less bass before or after the signal gets overdriven.

Might also be worth trying a .01uF cap as a replacement for C8 in the tone control.  ;)

hilbi

Thanks for you help DuncanM,

I would like to cut down the oophm factor a bit, im not sure if it is better to creduce caps in the clean part or the overdriven part.

QuoteMight also be worth trying a .01uF cap as a replacement for C8 in the tone control.

What does this mod do? also cut bass?
hilbi

DuncanM

Changing C8 alters the response of the tone control - in the original, there seems to be a 100Hz hump when the tone control is in the middle, a 'bass boost/treble cut' when the tone is anticlockwise and a 'bass rolloff and boosted' response when turned clockwise (at least, that's what playing with the "Duncan Tonestack Calculator" seemed to imply.
Changing the Cap to 0.01uF makes the response more like a traditional Big Muff type tone control - slight dip at 300hz in the middle, 'bass boost/ treble rolloff' anticlockwise, 'treble boost/bass cut' clockwise.

hilbi

Ok Thanks DuncanM,

I think I will try changing C8 first because i'm really happy with how the tone control works, i leave it all the time at 03.00.
hilbi

DuncanM

Out of interest, is the tone pot 100k Lin or 100k Log?

hilbi

QuoteI think I will try changing C8 first because i'm really happy with how the tone control works, i leave it all the time at 03.00.

Sorry I forgot one important word here. I mean NOT really happy.

QuoteOut of interest, is the tone pot 100k Lin or 100k Log?

Don't remember anymore, I will have a look tomorrow.
hilbi

hilbi

I used a 100kb pot for tone, is that lineair or log?
hilbi

hilbi

QuoteYou could try reducing C2 (or C4) or C7 (or C12) depending if you want less bass before or after the signal gets overdriven.

Might also be worth trying a .01uF cap as a replacement for C8 in the tone control.   

Report to moderator    Logged 

Mm c8 is already 10nF in my bsiabII, probealy a vaue mistake at that time.

I changed c4 and C12 now to 18nF, the bass is cecreased a bit now, will try that in a band situation next week and see how it works.

Can anyone tell me if a 100kB pot is lineair or log?
hilbi

Bucksears

100K-B is Linear. 100K-A is Log.

- Buck