Quad Triangle LFO

Started by gez, December 09, 2005, 12:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

I got a request for this in another thread.  Couldn't be bothered to draw it up properly:

Send me a free pedal if any of you use this commercially!  :icon_razz:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

A.S.P.

information lost...
Analogue Signal Processing

gez

PS  Use the op-amp chip indicated...or think very carefully if you sub something else in.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

A.S.P.

information lost...
Analogue Signal Processing

gez

Quote from: A.S.P. on December 09, 2005, 03:07:45 PM
that wouldabeen my next question, besides:

is there a str*pboard layout available,
which LDR do I need for remote rate-control,
can I sub 13600
or the "fonesad" 3080 + darlington version,
can I get more headroom with an 18V 1044-mod,
do you have a ready-to-clone PeeSeeBee layout,
where do I add a depth-control,
where should I connect the bias diodes to,
are the transistors indicated those that are inside the OTA,
and aren`t those actually darlingtons,
can I use FET-buffers instead,
where do you find ICL chips,
do I need polarized caps, or films,
what`s the frequency,
how do I calculate it,
how can I get an 180° & 270° output,
and what are the min/max-levels,
do you sell a kit?
which are the pin-numbers,
is that a lin or a log pot,
can I decrease its series-R to increase the range,
and: what do you need a quad for, anyway? ? ?

Incidentally, if any of you feel like asking these questions...please note product support is nonexistent!   :icon_razz: :icon_lol:

puretube

is it possible to get sine-out insteada tri?
:icon_razz:

gez

Simple, just use a Sineulator Tm.  I sell them on ebay for $1000.  Any resemblance to a three pin electrical plug is merely coincidence.  Just change your existing plug with the Sinulator Tm.  and you'll get perfect sine waves.

You'll really hear the difference!  :icon_razz:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Maybe not as elegant as Gez's effort, but an interesting other way to skin this cat:
http://www.till.com/articles/QuadTrapVCO/discussion.html

And here's another idea: I drew a pair of quad triangles & wondered about how Icould make one into the other, by doing different arithmetic during the four cycles. If you let X be the first triangle wave, and P be half the peak to peak voltage, then you can get a 90 deg delayed triangle Y thus:
1. for 0 to 90 deg, Y = X-P
2 for 90 to 180, Y= -X +P
3. for 180 to 270, Y = X + P
4 for 270 to 360, Y = -X -P

The 4 equations I give above, could be easily done using the classic logic controlled x1 and -x1 output amplifier. And the primary triangle generator can give you the logic levels.

MartyMart

Quote from: A.S.P. on December 09, 2005, 03:07:45 PM
that wouldabeen my next question, besides:

is there a str*pboard layout available,
which LDR do I need for remote rate-control,
can I sub 13600
or the "fonesad" 3080 + darlington version,
can I get more headroom with an 18V 1044-mod,
do you have a ready-to-clone PeeSeeBee layout,
where do I add a depth-control,
where should I connect the bias diodes to,
are the transistors indicated those that are inside the OTA,
and aren`t those actually darlingtons,
can I use FET-buffers instead,
where do you find ICL chips,
do I need polarized caps, or films,
what`s the frequency,
how do I calculate it,
how can I get an 180° & 270° output,
and what are the min/max-levels,
do you sell a kit?
which are the pin-numbers,
is that a lin or a log pot,
can I decrease its series-R to increase the range,
and: what do you need a quad for, anyway? ? ?

sorry - couldn`t resist  :icon_razz:  :icon_redface:

actually a very nice implementation!
respect!

ASP, that's a "little"  noobist .... isn't it ?   :icon_wink:

Very nice gez  ... I'll give you 50% of the "0" I'll make ... !!
Does that mean that now "you owe me"  ?

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

CS Jones

Can I put this in the loop of my toobscreamer special and use a switch thingy to move it in an out to share clipping duties with my diodes? If so, can you draw it out for me and tell me what to do? If I can't do it can you arrange to have several oompah loompah type creatures to come to my house and do it for me? I'm looking for that Robben Ford meets Jimi Hendrix tone. It would be great if this could do it for me as I've so far spent over $23,000 on amps/guitars/effects and I just can't seem to find the tones I'm hearing in my head. I'll make some soundclips and we can all vote if we like it or not and then we can talk about it for the next year and a half and compare it to everything else which comes out and see which other effects can beat it in shootouts and showdowns. Then we'll put it in a "tour box" with 117 other effects which are exactly the same and tell each other of all the differences we're able to hear between them. We'll tally up our online posts about it and the the first one who hits 10,000 posts gets a little star by their user name and everyone else has to wait to comment on other posts until the winner has spoken his piece first. To keep it truly effects oriented the winner also gets to talk about what his girlfriend looks like when she's naked.

(oh please, please, please dear Lord...let the winner be me. I need this).

gez

Quote from: CS Jones on December 10, 2005, 09:32:07 AMTo keep it truly effects oriented the winner also gets to talk about what his girlfriend looks like when she's naked.

It's a deal!  :icon_eek:

puretube

Quote from: brad on December 09, 2005, 11:10:25 PM
...you can post it on a Times Square billboard if you want...

pix included?

hhelland

Here's a quadrature VCO:
http://www.oldcrows.net/~jhaible/tonline_stuff/hjfs2_qv.gif
Actually, since this is just the core, it is current controlled. It is a part of Jürgen Haible's frequencu shifter design:
http://www.oldcrows.net/~jhaible/tonline_stuff/hj_fs.html
I've built one, it works very well. Here's mine:
http://hallgeir.no/hmt/fs-1/
The quadrature VCO is very accurate (it has to be) and goes "through zero". Very nice.

DiyFreaque

I've built one, it works very well. Here's mine:

Excellent!  Thanks for posting that, and those samples.  I've been wanting to hear an example of JH's frequency shifter for a long time - it sounds great!  The carrier suppression scheme works quite well.  Looks like a challenging build.

Take care,
Scott