Stompboxes too much work to give away? Trade 'em...

Started by Processaurus, December 14, 2005, 06:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

Nothing earth shattering in this topic, just a thought on a good way do make pedals for friends.  If you play with people and make sick pedals, they probably all want you to make some for them, but they probably don't have any idea how long it takes make a nice looking, fully debugged, road-worthy, custom modded (often with the help of brains here), etc., pedal.  And its kind of a bummer to be like, "Sure, just give me 150 bucks ::)", so lately I've been working trades with musicians, like recently trading a great cheddar for a nice 4 in, 4 out M Audio soundcard for the PC.  Also I asked some artistic friends about trading pedals for artwork I've been checking out for a while, with good response.  Auto work is a good one too.  Would you rather be building an uglyface or under the car being cold, mad & possibly bleeding?  Or a lifetime of free haircuts, who knows?

Discuss.

Steben

Excellent... tipping fingers gently... (Burns syndrom)
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

smashinator

The old "you probably don't realize what you're asking for" line does get pretty old...

Why limit it to stompboxes?  Try bartering for everything. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Mark Hammer

I swapped a guy 4 pedals for a small Leslie.  I could easily make the pedals all over again, but the Leslie....

AdamB

[indifferent::engine]
http://www.indifferentengine.com

A.S.P.

i trade for liner notes ("props") on next record...
Analogue Signal Processing

$uperpuma

Quote from: A.S.P. on December 14, 2005, 06:43:21 PM
i trade for liner notes ("props") on next record...
Guest lists and "shout outs" on the albums...I'm never at a loss for new band T-Shirts and the local musicians have good sounding pedal chains...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

sta63bmx

I traded a microamp clone for a brand-new Crybaby that still had the plastic on the bottom.  I'm also trading a Pulsar for a pair of used, unwanted Dimarzio pickups.  It's fun to build stuff, but I don't have any need for more than a few pedals.  At least if I can trade it away for something I'll feel like I recovered my parts costs.

Traintrack

It's a lot like working in the I.T. field.

Everyone that has a PC problem thinks it just fine to have you come over and fix their PC. I started asking people if they ask Roofers to come over and fix their roof? Or Auto mechanics to come over and fix their cars. It is amazing.

I have built just 2 pedals and have parts just delivered to do two more. I finished the 2nd one almost 2x faster than the 1st. But It still takes a lot of time. In fact I am building a BSIAB for a great friend, (my Idea) because that box is just too sweet. I only want 3-4 more builds that I have seen for my pedal board. Then I think I will be finished for a while. Famous last words?

tiges_ tendres

I need to better get the hang of this trade business.  Just like when I'm trading in hockey video games, I seem to get asked for the mine but get offered the shaft in return.

I swapped an Ampeg scrambler for a no name, no hardware, badly painted, les paul copy.  I dont even like les pauls!  It's firewood, and it's taking up valuable space!
Try a little tenderness.

burnt fingers

I guess I'm an oddball here but I have given pedals away. 
I make them cuz I like to.  Of course I haven't given away somehting complicated just some overdrives but I guess the barter thing makes some sense. 

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

markm

I always claim I will "just give this one to so & so" but......I never follow through with it. :icon_exclaim:
Even when it's an effect that I won't use, it's hard to part with them sometimes.
Although, as I type this I have 5 diferent stompers out in the world on loan.....
they've been gone for a couple of months though!
   MM