Removing the Tone Control from a TS type circuit ...

Started by Melanhead, December 14, 2005, 01:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanhead

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 15, 2005, 11:50:09 AM
Quote from: Melanhead on December 15, 2005, 11:27:48 AM
So is this what you meant Mark ?:

Yes, although don't forget the 10k biasing resistor to the noninverting input that is normally there. 

Hmmm, it's not there on the Son Of a Screamer schematic ( should it be ? ) , that's why I left it out ... Interesting.

Mark Hammer

Actually, looking at it again, there is no DC blocking capacitor between stage 1 (which IS biased to Vref) and stage 2, so whatever DC bias the signal is riding on through stage 1, it keeps on riding on its way to stage 2.  I guess you're OK without the resistor, then.  You'll have to pardon my outburst of tunnel vision.  I'm in Ottawa.  It's election time.  We get a little crazy. :icon_lol:

Melanhead

No prob, .... Oh yah election time! Yahoo  :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks for the reason as to why it doesn't have to be there ... The more I read the more I know, but then forget!  :icon_mrgreen:

Melanhead

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 15, 2005, 11:50:09 AM
Quote from: Melanhead on December 15, 2005, 11:27:48 AM
So is this what you meant Mark ?:

If you feel like doing a re-clip thing, I'd suggest softening it by, say, sticking a resistance in series with the 2nd diode pair (try 1k).  I *am* a big fan of double-clipping, but in this case you end up going in a very different direction than the TS is intended for if you just crank the gain of the second stage and stick more diodes in there exactly like the first stage..

Nope, it wouldn't be a tubescreamer anymore but wouldn't this make a nifty distortion though, if you could tame it right ( cascading gains, each stage adding a bit sorta like multiple fet/tube stages ) ... kinda like having tubescreamers in series ... :) hmmmmmmmm

oh well, something to try I guess ....

amz-fx

Quoteso whatever DC bias the signal is riding on through stage 1, it keeps on riding on its way to stage 2.  I guess you're OK without the resistor, then.

Badda-bing!  Give my friend a cigar (but don't inhale)  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:

Check out this article about a Screamer drive control:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/2987/fatts.html

regards, Jack