TON'S HOAX !!!!!!

Started by troubledtom, December 14, 2005, 04:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troubledtom

i received the the EH. F. HOAX less than a day ago, thanx aron :icon_twisted:
     this is a great device , if you can't figure it out , stick w/ a fuzz face or beer. not to mention, if any of you
can't get it doing some nice cool freaky sounds in 5-10 minutes, don't buy one of my devices :icon_razz: :icon_eek:
            the only 3 things i ran across................
1. when i first pluged it in and engaged the stomp sw/ there was a slight wait for the unit to kick in, likley some cap's sucking
their juice. because it DID NOT HAPPEN AGAIN AT ALL.

2. the blend knob/pot was scratchy for 2-3 turns. it's perfect now and i'm very happy.

3. steal it, and i'll kill you :icon_mrgreen:

it will never leave my pedal board. i finally have the perfect FRANK MARINO sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you TON, EH, AND ARON.
       I could figure this device out blind folded :icon_twisted:   ..i mean it !
                      peace and good health,
                           - tom pollock
                           - TV FX
                 www.troubledvariance.com   

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

> this a great device , if you can't figure it out , stick w/ a fuzz face or beer.

Now that is FUNNY!

>not to mention, if of you
can't get it doing some nice cool freaky sounds in 5-10 minutes, don't buy one of my devices

hehehehehehe

1>it will never leave my pedal board. i finally have the perfect FRANK MARINO sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!??? WOW Frank Marino - Mahogany Rush!!!!!!!!

notchboy

Quote from: troubledtom on December 14, 2005, 04:04:10 PM
it will never leave my pedal board. i finally have the perfect FRANK MARINO sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want Frank Marino's sound, he used an Instant Flanger, at least on his classic 1970s albums.  The Hoax can do TZF and a lot crazier stuff than the Instant Flanger, but the basic tone isn't as beefy IMHO.

Eirik

Does anybody know if it's possible to get the Hoax in Europe by now?
I would order it from the us but the shipping seems to be pretty expensive.. I suppose the prices here in Norway will be crazy anyway.
I mean.. the EH Holier Grail is sold for 3000 kroner here. That's $450!!!!  :icon_evil: That's not the way to treat poor guitar players! Is it? :icon_evil:
So if someone know about a good e-shop in Germany or something like that I'd be happy to know about it ;)

Eirik
Eirik

troubledtom

What!??? WOW Frank Marino - Mahogany Rush!!!!!!!!

damn right ! brotheraron!
          i have everything he has ever done , but never learned a song of his. he has a newish live cd that's very HEAVY JAZZ SHIT ...................... i think you'd really like it.
           - tom
ps: talk shit about ton ? not cool ! after the death of bob moog [ who i knew ]  please be cool to all of the greats...............

- tom pollock

aron

It is right in the middle of "King Bee" that he riffs off some Jazz licks??? KILLER!

notchboy

And remember folks, if you want Frank Marino info, visit http://www.mahoganyrush.com/, not http://frankmarino.com/!  Good for a laugh though (apologies to all cross-dressing DIYers).

A.S.P.

Quote from: Eirik on December 14, 2005, 05:48:00 PM
Does anybody know if it's possible to get the Hoax in Europe by now?
So if someone know about a good e-shop in Germany or something like that I'd be happy to know about it ;)
Eirik

unless this forum`s proprietor can furnish you with B-stock copies... :

1st choice:
http://www.thomann.de/iw_smb_suche.html?SUBJECT=KOMFORTSUCHE&iwid=2&SUCHBEGRIFF=hoax

2nd choice:
http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop2/shop04.asp?artnr=100024237&sid=!18121995&quelle=volltext

or else: http://www.hotroxuk.com/store/erol.html
Analogue Signal Processing

Eirik

Quoteunless this forum`s proprietor can furnish you with B-stock copies... :
I've seen the B-stock's from Aron mentioned but I can't find them in the store or anywhere else... :'(
I would of course be happy to buy from Aron (depending on the shipping cost)
Thank you for the links.  :) At least those prices are reasonable :)
Eirik

aron

I learned a lot from this last order that I made for some of the forum (ites????)

I LOVE to help out our forumers in other countries, but boy can shipping be spooky. There's only EXPENSIVE and not that expensive.

So a Flanger Hoax can cost around $26 to $37 US to ship. $26 being no insurance, no tracking, $37 being insured and tracked IF it's available to your country.
It costs on average about $13 (UPS) to send pedals to me before I ship to you. :-( THIS IS VERY SAD!
B-Stock FLIES out.... so there's no - He you guys want B-stock??? There's only BUY or not BUY at the moment.

finally:

I LOVE-B-STOCK! I'll take that discount and the 11/2 inch scratch any day!

no one ever

Quote from: aron on December 14, 2005, 07:25:46 PM
I learned a lot from this last order that I made for some of the forum (ites????)

I LOVE to help out our forumers in other countries, but boy can shipping be spooky. There's only EXPENSIVE and not that expensive.

So a Flanger Hoax can cost around $26 to $37 US to ship. $26 being no insurance, no tracking, $37 being insured and tracked IF it's available to your country.
It costs on average about $13 (UPS) to send pedals to me before I ship to you. :-( THIS IS VERY SAD!
B-Stock FLIES out.... so there's no - He you guys want B-stock??? There's only BUY or not BUY at the moment.

finally:

I LOVE-B-STOCK! I'll take that discount and the 11/2 inch scratch any day!

price estimate on one b-stock?
(chk chk chk)

troubledtom

Quote from: aron on December 14, 2005, 06:07:01 PM
It is right in the middle of "King Bee" that he riffs off some Jazz licks??? KILLER!

i find i like'um even better live, jeff beck too. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_wink:
                   - tom

CS Jones

Mine came in too.
What an amazing thing.

I was prepared not to care what it sounded like. I wanted it simply because Ton built it.
I just can't imagine the amount of work that went into designing something like this.

puretube

tnx for your kind words;
enjoy the toy...
:icon_redface:

Ry

I got mine this afternoon...This pedal is easily the most amazing thing I've played through for years!  I was grinning from ear to ear every time I got a zero-through sweep.  This is honestly a fantastic pedal, it's right up there with my Skyripper and Seek Wha.  Thanks a lot, Ton!

Ry

Mark Hammer

I feel a little awkward, and even a little treasonous, referring to a different pedal in this thread, but I demoed the Line 6 Liqui-Flange for a couple guys recently, and their faces lit up with smiles that threatened to cut through their ears and just keep on going.

Most folks who THOUGHT they knew flangers get this look on their faces when they get their first taste of through-zero flanging like the first time they ever saw naked boobies for real.  I say, whatever way you can get it (and there are now 3 ways to do it in real time with the Flanger Hoax, Foxrox Paradox, and the Line 6 Liqui-Flange), go and GET IT!  Kodos to Ton for giving us all another way of getting it.

Incidentally, one guy in a store I was in looked up the price on his system (he was eagerly awaiting a Hoax to come in too), and the price struck me as ridicuously low compared to what I was expecting.  Is there some sort of unanticipated price drop because of demand or did he just read something wrong?  He cited me a price in the vicinity of $225 Canadian.  I wouldn't kick it out of bed at that price, but it seems low.

Doug_H

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 16, 2005, 11:17:08 AM

Most folks who THOUGHT they knew flangers get this look on their faces when they get their first taste of through-zero flanging

I tried out a Liqua Flange, and while it is a good flanger, when it comes to the TZF thing, I just don't get it... It sounded good but I didn't hear the swooshy tape-flanging sound I was expecting. Maybe I should have run it in stereo or something for the full effect. The step LFO is nice though, kind of like a s/h filter sound. In the end, I must not be a flanger-guy I guess.

Tried out the Roto-Machine though, and that is killer! 8)

Doug

Mark Hammer

Said it before and I'll say it again: the standout flanging we are accustomed to is post-production flanging, generally pooling several channels/tracks.  That gives it the broad bandwidth in terms of content that lets every little one of those cotton-picking notches get heard.  While a guitarist obviously can't play multiple tracks at once, they CAN stick a fuzz in front of the flanger and increase the representation of the audible spectrum.  I'm certain there are plenty of folks who tried out a Hoax in the store too, and went "Well, interesting, but doesn't bowl me over".  Had they stuck a fuzz in front of it, they would have been baring their fangs at the music store sales staff growling "You will pry this guitar and pedal from my cold dead hands when I LET you, buddy!  Now back off!!"

And yes, the Roto-Machine will likely change your expectations of what a chorus pedal should do every bit as much as the first time you heard a Dimension C.  The comment I hear most is that the Drive control gives a nice chewy delicious grind that people are unaccustomed to hearing from a pedal.  I got the sense that people would be willing to buy it for the distortion alone.  Although the separate slow and fast speeds, variable ramp-up/down and rotor balance controls are nice, the drive control is probably the nicest thing about the pedal.

But lets get back to Hoax praise.  I'm looking forward to trying one out when they come in.

Doug_H

Mark, I forked our conversation off to this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=40014.0

Now back to your regularly scheduled Hoax discussion...

Doug