Power supply current

Started by Storing!, December 15, 2005, 08:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storing!

I'm assembling a new pedalboard. It's going to contain aboyt 14 pedals.
As a power supply I'm using a Pedal power 2 from voodoo labs.

Teh problem is, I'm also using 2 old Ibanez 18 V pedals. It is possible to feed them with the Pedalpower by using to of the eight outlets in series.

However this would consume 2 outlets and I've only got 8 outlets to supply 14 pedals. So this seems kind of a waist.

The pedalpower is also capable of producing 12,5 volts for teh older Boss pedals. I found that the 18 V Ibannez pedals do work on that. Question is, does anyone know if feeding these pedals with a low current gives a quality pennalty. The pedals are the 505 Chorus and the 301 Flanger. I'm also thinking of adding the AD80.

Thanks
Eric

BlueToad

If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

Storing!

Thought about a chargepump.
I used it in a powered version of the Neutron filter.
What I'm experiencing there is a small but noticable whine in the signal even after installing cokes.
I rebuild it using a semetrical powersupply.

So maybe I'm biased against it. On the other hand, I now have the 1044 chip lying around.
Let's give it a try ;)

Eric

Mike Burgundy

Eric, I think you forgot to use the frequency-boost option that the 1044 supports. If you use that, switching is above audio frequencies, so you should be fine.
If you ever use the cheaper 7660 (I think that's what it was), feeding it with an external oscillator works perfectly. One of those, a 555 and some periphery still is a lot cheaper than a 1044 ;)