Tim E Circuit snippets Vero Layouts up

Started by TheBigMan, December 16, 2005, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigMan

Utility boost (JFET version) and SyRuPP are in my gallery now.   The Utility Boost Layout is for DSG pinout FETs so won't accomodate most BJTs or Darlingtons without bending pins.

Toney

Syrrypp is one I've definitely been meaning to check out.
Basically anything by Tim Escobedo is good.
Will build em all one day...
Great. 8)

Toney

By the way....
Have you built the Colorsound Trem yet?
Thats another I gotta try.
So little time, so many choices......

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

TheBigMan

Haven't built the Trem yet, it's one for the New Year.  I've got bags and bags of parts sorted for projects needing assembly.  :-\

Threefish

Hiya Big Man,

Thanks for the vero layouts - are they verified? I wanted to build Tim E's Syrupp and being too lazy to work it out myself, I used your vero layout.
It didn't work, and after packing up last night and heading for the sack, I had another quick look at the schem and your vero. I noticed in your layout the top leg of the trimpot doesn't connect to anything, and the source of Q1 only goes to the output cap. In the schem that top leg goes to the source of Q1. I'll get out the soldering iron tonight, but it looks to need a jumper from the top leg of the trimpot to the source of Q1.

Or I've got something else wrong there. :icon_lol:

Anyone else wants to look at it to confirm my analysis (??) , chime in. It'll be about another 8 hours before I can put soldering iron to vero board and I'm dying to get there....
"Why can't I do it like that?"

markm

I have both PCB and Perf layouts of the SyRuPP in my gallery if it'll help you. :)

Threefish

Thanks Mark. I looked at your perf layout. I'll stick with the vero for now, unless it continues to give me trouble.
I see that your layout has the source of Q1 to the third leg of the trimpot as well as the output cap, so that's what I was really looking for. So in about 7 hours time, I should be able to add that jumper with confidence it will make it work.
Or give me something else to look for if it doesn't  :-\.

markm

Glad I could be of help.
My layout is verified so rest assured  :icon_wink:

Threefish

I put in that jumper that I was guessing was needed, and now it works. Consider your vero layout (corrected and) verified Big Man. I've taken the liberty of copying your layout image and indicating the spot where the jumper goes:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4231043
That's the jumper next to the trimpot, with the red circle around it.
I was interested in this circuit as an overdrive, and there's a pretty good range of overdrive for me in this, though it's a lot bassier than I like. I'm using a 1M pot rather than a 2M, but I can't see that would contribute to more bass/less treble (impedance from that 1M at the input should be ok?) It's probably more to do with my amp than the circuit though. So, I'm going to replace the 0.1uF output cap with a socket and trial some other values in there. Anyone else had a similar experience?

TheBigMan

;D

Just moved house and finally got back on line after a good while away.  Glad to see someone was paying attention!  I'll correct my layout soon, I've got a few new ones needing drawn and uploaded as well.

JimRayden

Quote from: Toney on December 16, 2005, 07:51:31 PM
Will build em all one day...
Great. 8)

That will be one extremely busy day. Gotta get up at 5. :D

---------
Jimbo

Tim Escobedo