ZZ-8200/hk-828 voice recorder chip/ DIY LOOPER/SAMPLER

Started by smccusker, December 17, 2005, 07:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smccusker

datasheet
Has anyone looked into using this chip in a diy looper capacity?
they're pretty expensive at 20 bucks a pop from Jaycar, but they have have alot of features built into the chip, greatly minimising the parts count per circuit.
I'll admit I don't really know very much about this sort of thing, but from the looks of the data sheet, it seems like it might be well worth a look into.
any ideas?
Guitar -> Amp

smccusker

one of the most interesting features about this is that you could record a number of different short loops, and then rig up some sort of control switching to select which loop is played.
Guitar -> Amp

smccusker

here's a link to the corresponding article that appeared in silllicon chip magazine.

Guitar -> Amp

no one ever

its too bad there's no consumer demand for voice recorder chips that play backwards....  :icon_mrgreen:
(chk chk chk)

smccusker

Quote from: no one ever on December 18, 2005, 01:26:04 AM
its too bad there's no consumer demand for voice recorder chips that play backwards....  :icon_mrgreen:
anyone have schems for a time machine?
Guitar -> Amp

Processaurus

It won't work out well for a looper, because in the datasheet it says it inserts a 1.5 second silent period before returning to the beginning of the sample, while in looping mode.  This is so you know that its the end of the sample.  Bummer.  What I do like is that the playback/record pitch is variable about an octave, by a variable resistor.  This also scales the anti-aliasing filter's cutoff frequency at the same time. Nice. 

puretube

smccusker

Quote from: Processaurus on December 19, 2005, 02:00:07 AM
It won't work out well for a looper, because in the datasheet it says it inserts a 1.5 second silent period before returning to the beginning of the sample, while in looping mode.
that's a feature i unfortunately excitedly overlooked :(

care to elucidate puretube?  :icon_biggrin:
Guitar -> Amp

puretube

write/read alternatively, such that the "gap" in one will be filled by the other, & vice versa...

The Tone God

Quote from: puretube on December 19, 2005, 05:47:40 AM
write/read alternatively, such that the "gap" in one will be filled by the other, & vice versa...

Sounds like a painful endevour for little gain.

Just my opinion.

Andrew

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

The Tone God

smccusker

Quote from: The Tone God on December 19, 2005, 02:22:12 PM
Quote from: puretube on December 19, 2005, 05:47:40 AM

Sounds like a painful endevour for little gain.

Just my opinion.

Andrew

i was thinking the same thing :(
Guitar -> Amp