my ultimate goal

Started by choklitlove, December 20, 2005, 08:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choklitlove

hence all the different threads.

i want a big muff, a holy grail (or another reverb), an led stage tuner, and an internal speaker w/ a switch to choose between the ouput and the speaker.  all in one case.  these are all of the things i would use on stage, and the simplicity would be awesome.  i was looking at the 125C enclosure (http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=54) from small bear which is 7.5" x 4.3" x 2.4".  as far as the holy grail goes, i could always just buy one then put it in this case.  but i'm not sure about that...

here's something so you can see what i mean (i just made it really quick):

ambitious?  yes.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

petemoore

The part I see as hard to overcome [I didn't see box dimensions, but it'd be a shoehorn to get it all in there], is getting a speaker hole cut into metal.
  Other than that you can buy the BMP, and HG, and one of those little amps for 20, rehouse the whole thing in wood is what I'd recommend, you could eliminate all jacks except one for input.
  Actually since 'these are all of the things i would use on stage', and using BMP and HG...kind of dwarfs the amp, speaker, perhaps you would like to consider something a bit more substantial that affords a bit of headroom.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

nelson

I have a question. #

Why?

I mean, I cant see the tiny speaker being much use on stage.
Isnt that what external stage monitors are for?

Use an external monitor. A simple A/B box at the end of your signal chain could select it

I wouldnt see a problem fitting a small pedal tuner, a DIY big muff and a rehoused commercial digital reverb in that size enclosure. However tooling the enclosure to show the tuner interface could be a challenge.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

choklitlove

Quote from: nelson on December 20, 2005, 10:13:59 PM
I have a question. #

Why?

I mean, I cant see the tiny speaker being much use on stage.
Isnt that what external stage monitors are for?

Use an external monitor. A simple A/B box at the end of your signal chain could select it

I wouldnt see a problem fitting a small pedal tuner, a DIY big muff and a rehoused commercial digital reverb in that size enclosure. However tooling the enclosure to show the tuner interface could be a challenge.

i didn't word that very well.  all but the internal speaker are the things i'll use on stage.  that's just for personal use.

i agree, the size won't be a problem at all.  i might even be able to get away with a smaller case (but probably won't try).  yes, tooling will be tough.  i'm not shutting out the ideas of non-metal casing like wood or plastic or something.  or maybe even aluminum might be easier to work with.  any places with different styles of enclosures?

alteredsounds

Am I missing the point? what would the speaker be connected to ampwise? and also it would sound bl**dy awfull!  Why not build something like a headphone amp?

Cheers,
Nick,

choklitlove

Quote from: alteredsounds on December 21, 2005, 06:04:45 AM
Am I missing the point? what would the speaker be connected to ampwise? and also it would sound bl**dy awfull!  Why not build something like a headphone amp?

Cheers,
Nick,
that's something i was wondering about as well...

would the existing circuits be able to drive a speaker?
if i had to add a simple amp circuit, i could.

alteredsounds

The signal coming out of the pedals alone would be totally unsuitable to drive a speaker.  Why not build in one of the amps from ROG like the Little Gem?  I still think a speaker mounted in a metal enclosure like that would sound terrible though.

Cheers,
Nick,

choklitlove

Roobin

Let me get this straight...

Is the idea you have just this box, so you can practice at home w/out an amp, and then transport it to a stage and use the montiors?

Personally, I would just use a pedal board (allows space for upgrade or adding other stuff).

Can i ask why you would want to use a tiny speaker, even at home?

choklitlove

Quote from: Roobin on December 21, 2005, 07:04:34 AM
Let me get this straight...

Is the idea you have just this box, so you can practice at home w/out an amp, and then transport it to a stage and use the montiors?

Personally, I would just use a pedal board (allows space for upgrade or adding other stuff).

Can i ask why you would want to use a tiny speaker, even at home?
yeah, transport it to a stage and use an amp or monitors.
i use a pedal board right now, and it's bigger than i need.  i have a good deal of pedals, but only a couple i'd like to use live.  plus, i also use a couple of keyboards and drum machines and a mixer and a microphone and some acoustic drums and all sorts of shit on stage.  so, keeping things as simple as possible is in my best interest.

the tiny speaker is just for portability.  it's cool to not have to use a full-fledged amp all the time.

is there something i could just add to the present circuits to make it okay to drive a speaker?  it seems like it wouldn't take that much more.  or just something to put inbetween the dpdt switch and the speaker vol. pot?

d95err

Quote from: choklitlove on December 21, 2005, 07:13:35 AM
is there something i could just add to the present circuits to make it okay to drive a speaker?  it seems like it wouldn't take that much more.  or just something to put inbetween the dpdt switch and the speaker vol. pot?

An LM386-based design like the Little Gem is probably the easiest solution. One 8-pin IC, a few caps and resistors. Should fit in the enclosure somewhere.

Steben

EH Holy grail: 9V at 500mA? geeeeeeez..... ::)
That's 100x the Fuzz Faces (with LED!) current!
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

choklitlove

little gem looks alright.

there's also http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=31

then there's the schematic i posted before:

which uses these:
Q1   J201 N-channel JFET
R1   3.0M ohm 1/4-watt 5% resistor
R2   2.2K ohm 1/4-watt 5% resistor
R3   6.8K ohm 1/4-watt 5% resistor
R4   51K ohm 1/4-watt 5% resistor
C1   4.7 uF electrolytic capacitor
C2   10 uF electrolytic or tantalum capacitor

and ends up as this:

edit: that looks pretty tempting...

didier

you could just make a mini amp based on the LM386 (like the soundman or so...) and just connect it internally to the EH pedals...
Complete: TS-808; LPB2; Orange Squeezer; Green Ringer; Foxx Tone Machine; LM3886 PowerAmp.
To Be Completed: DOD440; Professor Tweed; LHX; Real McTube 2; Rebote 2.5 Delay; ETI MN3011 Reverb;

choklitlove

Quote from: didier on December 21, 2005, 08:24:44 AM
you could just make a mini amp based on the LM386 (like the soundman or so...) and just connect it internally to the EH pedals...
i'm not sure what i'm going to do with the the mini-amp yet, but i planned on joining all of it internally.

jrem

Quote from: didier on December 21, 2005, 08:24:44 AM

why do you socket your I/O like that?