Relatively Cheap Wah Shells - Here's One Way To Get One

Started by Paul Marossy, December 21, 2005, 10:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I bought this chrome plated Guitar Research wah off of ebay for $33 last week, got it last night. It's an exact copy of the good ole CryBaby shell. It comes with a heavy duty 100K pot like you see in the old wahs. I removed the cheesy PCB in it and replaced it with my Vox Grey Wah clone in it and re-used the pot. It works out pretty well, feels just like a real CryBaby once you adjust everything.

I know it's not super cheap for a wah shell, but you get a nice looking chrome plated enclosure with a heavy duty 100K pot. Might be an alternative for someone? Works for me!

Paul Marossy

Here's a picture of what it looks like:

I put my own nameplate on it.

petemoore

So it comes with a switch also? What type?
  Actually that looks pretty good  :icon_cool:
  Decent competition to DIYing the mechanical parts when you factor in chrome, looks great and works good.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: petemoore on December 21, 2005, 06:13:58 PM
  So it comes with a switch also? What type?
  Actually that looks pretty good  :icon_cool:
  Decent competition to DIYing the mechanical parts when you factor in chrome, looks great and works good.

Oh, the switch. It's a SPDT X-wing type switch. It's like half of an x-wing. And it's pretty cheap...

no one ever

where'd you get your nameplate? you've piqued my interest  :icon_biggrin:
(chk chk chk)

Paul Marossy

OK, here's some pics:

Front with my AutoCAD generated nameplate

Side view:

Bottom. Bottom plate is flipped over.

Inside:

This is my PCB:

View of the pot. The rack and pinion are slightly different than in a real CryBaby.

Another view of the pot:

Dave_B

You did all that since receiving the pedal yesterday?  I'm still putting together an order I started two weeks ago.   :icon_redface:
Help build our Wiki!

Paul Marossy

QuoteYou did all that since receiving the pedal yesterday?  I'm still putting together an order I started two weeks ago.

Well, everything but etching the PCB and populating it. I did that part a few days ago. That only took a couple of hours or so. :icon_wink:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the only thing different about this shell is the mounting holes for the jacks are a lot larger than for a standard jack due to the funky PCB mounted jacks that they used. The shell is still quite useable with standard jacks in spite of that, though.

AL

Nice and tidy. Nice work Paul. Looks great - how's it sound?

AL

Paul Marossy

Quote from: AL on December 22, 2005, 12:13:40 PM
Nice and tidy. Nice work Paul. Looks great - how's it sound?

AL

Thanks. It sounds pretty good actually. It sounds most like my 80s Dunlop CryBaby, works great with a scooped mid type of distortion.

Paul Marossy

Just a little update:

The feel of the pedal just wasn't as smooth as I'm used to. I got to looking at it closer and found that the gear attached to the pot shaft has 2 to 3 more teeth than what is used in a CryBaby. This makes the feel considerably different - it makes it feel like you have to work harder to get the same effect. I used a Dunlop gear instead, and now it feels just like the rest of my wah pedals. I wouldn't have thought that something that simple could have such a large effect...

Dragonfly

btw paul...the "glue" that holds the rubber tread on the pedal isnt the greatest, so expect it to detach after a while...you can just reglue it afterwards :)

nice job so far....

AC

Paul Marossy

Quotebtw paul...the "glue" that holds the rubber tread on the pedal isnt the greatest, so expect it to detach after a while...you can just reglue it afterwards

Yeah, I noticed that and was already planning on having to do that at some point in the future. With a little work, it can turn out to be a pretty cool looking, functional project. :icon_cool:

Paul Marossy

Just a little update. The "heavy duty" pot is already scratchy after only a few weeks of use. I guess I'm going to have to get a real wah pot now...  :icon_confused: