Voice changer as a guitar pedal problem

Started by Jamforthelamb, December 22, 2005, 12:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamforthelamb

Hi everyone.

Ok, so here's the deal. I was tinkering with a voice changer, and I planned on making it into a guitar pedal. The really cool thing is that it uses a lm386 chip in it, so I was able to use some of the fuzz options with the chip. I got all the mods wired up, get it all mounted into a test housing, run a casio mt-35 keyboard that I use as a test subject through it, and all works well. Plug my guitar into it, and no sound gets through. This thing only runs on 4.5 volts, so I wasn't sure if it's an issue of lack of voltage, or if I need to change some components around to make it pick up the guitar. I would really like to get this thing working with a guitar because it sound awesome! Help!!!!

Thanks,
JFTL

b_rogers

do you have a schematic for the voice changer? try putting a pedal in front of the changer and see if that works...

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

Jamforthelamb

No I don't.
It's actually a kids toy that I'm modifing.

JFTL

A.S.P.

might need a high-impedance-input buffer in front of it,
and maybe a little amplification...
Analogue Signal Processing

Jamforthelamb

Any schemo's for me ? I'm kind of a noob to all this although I have built 3 pedals now.

JFTL

jbm222

check out the boosters & routers section on GGG or Jack Orman's mini booster at muzique.com

There are several ways to build a simple single opamp/transistor buffer/amplifier.  For something like this were fidelity is probably not an issue, i'd aim for whatever you have on hand.

Tim Escobedo

Jamforthelamb

Thanks JBM, I'll do that.

Hey Tim, Love your circuits!

Could ya translate that for me ? I'm kind of a noob to all this.

JFTL

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Jamforthelamb on December 22, 2005, 06:21:49 PM
Could ya translate that for me ? I'm kind of a noob to all this.
JFTL
AC coupling?
That is, put a capacitor between where the signal goes in, and the main circuit, so the signal has to go through the capacitor. A 0.1 microfarad one would be OK.

Jamforthelamb

RLBJR65

Sounds like a fun project! No schem. how about some pics?
LM386 will do some wierd stuff on its own at only 4.5 volts!

Richard
Richard Boop

Jamforthelamb

Yeah, since this is a circuit out of a toy there's also an smd black blob chip, so there's no way for me to know what's in there. I think that any toy voice changer that runs on 9v will work for this. I'm still trying to get this 4.5v one to work  :icon_smile:.

I may take some pics, and do a little write up on my site for it. I link it here when I do.

Merry Chirstmas!

JFTL

Xlrator

Yeah, let's hear some sound clips.

Is the toy cheap and still available?
Listen to cKy!

Jamforthelamb

Here's the actual one I'm using off of ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WINNIE-THE-POOH-MEGAPHONE_W0QQitemZ6021320938QQcategoryZ19251QQcmdZViewItem

Like I said, any of the toy voice changers (especially the ones that run on 9v) should work. I get most of my stuff like this at local thrift stores for 5.00 or less.

Here's a sample of another one of these I did before I knew anything about pedal building. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=264683&songID=3087730
Had I known then what I know now I would have looked to see if it had a chip I could tinker with.

JFTL

Xlrator

I just listened to some of your samples of other toys you made. Some pretty demented sounds man!! That wrecking ball sample sounds like something out of a horror movie with possesed toys. Crazy!

"Bye, bye, bye, chicken, chicken......."
Listen to cKy!

Dan N

If you want a chip, smallbear has the HT8950 for $5.00. Otherwise, yopu'll have to find a really old voice changer megaphone or crack open one of those Playskool Mr.Mike voice changer/cassette recorder thing.

The toys do put some dc on the input because they use those little condensor mics. I don't know how that would affect the ac from your guitar.