"Marshall" sim

Started by krille2, December 27, 2005, 07:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krille2

I just want to post here to share my experience with the LXH2 "Marshall" sim I recently built. It is an amazing creature, I've never heard any simulating unit ever coming so close to the original thing, both amp and cab.

If you are interested in these things, please check out my website: http://hem.passagen.se/amps

/Krister

petemoore

Great clips, convincing.
  22 opamps...whew, big monster.
  I get the impression the designs are fairly 'new'...?
  All the talk of 'hard to soft' clipping seems to be well backed by the tones in the soundclips...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

I'm waiting for the 'boiled down' or 'lite' version...the one fragment of that opamp array ... the part that 'does that'...lol.
  Perhaps you can appreciate that I don't fully understand why that number of opamps was chosen [22] for the design.
  I'm 'thought drifting' that many of the OA's are to create the 'hard to soft' clipping depending on input levels, but quite a few must be concerned [mostly or partially] with the Eq and resonance sections, all of which of course contribute to the sound of the circuit...
  When I opened the page I saw only the first 'row' of the circuit, though ..hmmm, ok, looks like I've seen something like these marks before...then I see the line leading to the second row, and the next and last rows...I started counting and saw the OA's a numbered up to 22...NTSay, 'I've probably seen something like this...' changed instantly to 'what the heck is all this about?' very quickly.

wampcat1

StephenGiles

Ah - surely a cue to take advantage of the TI sample "programme"!!!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Doug_H

Wow, that sounds amazing! ;)

I always wondered what that sounded like, but I didn't want to try before hearing it first, due to the complexity. That LXH2 design has been around for many years.

It is *very*convincing. I love the "ring" of the semi-clean tones too. Sounds like the real thing! I can't believe you did that on perfboard, what a project! :icon_cool:

Thanks for sharing! That's a great job.  8)

Doug

spudulike

Hmmm .. very interesting ;)

How many filters did you use for the peak/dips and at which centre freqs ?

Looks like this could use 34 opamps with full & adjustable filtering  :icon_eek:

Toney

Connoisseur of Distortion

now, what we need is a LXH2 Mesa sim, and i'll be set for life!  ;D

(not a fan of the marshall sound, but that is reeeeeally great modeling!)

krille2

Thank you!

Actually it's built with 35 op amps  ;D and I've implemeted the full MFB filter design as suggested by LXH2, which means the following freq was included:
MFB FILTER FOR PEAKS:
320 HZ
800 HZ
1.2 KHZ
1.8 KHZ
2.5 KHZ
5 KHZ
8 KHZ
11 KHZ

MFB FILTERS FOR DIPS:
600 HZ
1.45 KHZ
2 KHZ
7 KHZ
9 KHZ

Actually I made the thing on a perfboard with 3x1 soldering islands so there where very little need for patching, it wasn't that bad. A Mesa sim would be cool. Some clever person maybe could bleed the Fender and the Marshall sim together and adjust the filters to reflect the tonal quality of it  :icon_idea:

There will be new sound clips on my page in some time, I will use my Fender Stratocaster for some shredding stuff and more  :icon_razz:
I just love the sounds from it, and it'll be put in a box today  :icon_cool:

Bernardduur

Wow.... it sounds great!

Right now I am busy experimenting with some speaker sims (from the amps direct out). It sounds really really good!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Steben

Very cool sounds, but looking at the schem., I'm not surprised. I mean, it's got it all: pre-EQ (presence control), clipping, post-EQ, ...
The only question I have: What about low-gain sound samples?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

larseko

Wow, real nice. I'd like to build this myself, but I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough yet. I have only built the beginner project, the ZW-44 vero thingie and modded my JCM 900 a bit this far. Do you think it will do? At least I have acquired a soldering station and basic soldering skills. How about that Elfa parts list? Did you get all parts there? We have Elfa here in Oslo as well, so it would be practical, although I don't like their long shaft pots. :-)

Keep up the good work. The skill level on this forum never stops amazing me.

Lars Erik

rodriki1

Thanks a lot for sharing your Job.
Your information sound like music to my ear. 

For a long time i have been waiting and asking for this kind of stuff.
I have done my personal research about tube amp modelling too.

The theory behind LXH2 work is very complete and mature.
A litlle hard to understand for beginners.

I personally question if we could get tube amp distortion from solid state.

I wait for somebody that could show a blind comparation between the real thing and the
"amp sim".

The effect of distortion explained by LXH2 can be misunderstood.
I have made the block of distortion of the project (marshall amp sim) and it is simple but effective.
The idea of soft clipping before hard clipping is very important. Pay atenttion to this.

Thanks again. Good Luck

petemoore

I personally question if we could get tube amp distortion from solid state.
  Listening to the sound, I begin to question if you can get solid state dist from tube !!
  Also at that level of performance it begins to matter less.

donald stringer

I think I will start with just the marshal sim as my lite version and maybe add the rest once its up and running and I get really hooked. If  I can get close to that tone I would be happy. Nice build and really cool sounds  ;)
troublerat

rodriki1

The guitar playing is excelent.

Sometimes we can bet we hear steve vai sound.

The question here is about complexity.
The circuit is too much complex and the ideas behind it are complex too.

Links of Samples of fender simulator can be obtained from the LXH2 site.

Thanks.

Songpol T.

krille2

Thank you, it's always nice to have a positive response  :icon_biggrin:
* Well, ok. I will add low gain sound clips in some days. Please notify me if you want me to record other particular sound examples!
* Lars Erik - I bought all stuff from ELFA, except for the casing (an old external SUN UltraSCSI box) and I will update the page with the complete part list, please revisit the page and you will find out in some days. It is typically long shafted pots except for the dual gang pot witch is also a very small one. Personally I think one must at least have some degrees of patience and soldering experience to be able to succeed with the project, maybe it's a good idea to solder one IC at a time including all lines and listen to the outputs of each op amp to see if it is working. The components and cables are small in comparison to a tube amp and I would say that you need a slightly less powerful soldering iron (ex 15W). Well, I actually got the PSU for free!
* Bernardduur, can you tell more about your cab sim projects?
* I didn't implement the "just preamp out", maybe I'll do that this week and include some sound clips of it for you guys, if you're interested.

RDV

Right then.

Who's gonna work up the PCB for this monster?

RDV