tl082 power supply

Started by tomwarrior, January 02, 2006, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwarrior

can i just connect a 9 volt battery to pins 8 and 4 or do i have to use a bipolar power supply. if i have to use a bipolar power supply how would i connect it? i will be using 5 tl082's in my current project. thanks in advance.---tom
sound is subjective.

The Tone God

Can it run off just 9v ? Yes.

Will you need a bi-polar supply ? Depends on your circuit. Need more information about the circuit in question.

How you will connect the bi-polar supply ? Depends on your circuit. Need more information about the circuit in question.

Andrew

niftydog

yes you can use a battery, but you then need to bias the op amp to half supply so that it works properly. There's a decent amount of discussion on this topic here already, searching around a bit might help you understand the concept.

A bipolar supply has three connections to be made, +ve (positive), -ve (negative) and ground. Typically +ve is pin 8, -ve is pin 4 and for a standard inverting amplifier the non-inverting terminal(s) (pins 3 and 5 on a dual op amp) is(are) grounded.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

tomwarrior

the circut im building is the mashall preamp sim;
http://hem.passagen.se/amps/
i hooked up my 9 volt power supply the same way i did when i built my mxr phase 45(pins 4 and 8) and all i get out of my first opamp stage is a farty distortion. i tried shorting pins 1 and 2 and it didnt help. i also tried running 16 volts and it didnt help. i had origanaly built this circut using lm324's and had the same problem. thanks in advance.---tom
sound is subjective.

niftydog

Quotei hooked up my 9 volt power supply the same way i did when i built my mxr phase 45

how exactly was that?

I'm convinced you have overlooked signal biasing.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Prive

Sorry but there is more than 5 tl082 in that proyect, or you are thinking in a part of it???
A single battery will not give you lots of time of 9v and you will still need two for the entire power supply.
That circuit is amazing, i'm starting it too, will be cool share some experiences in a new topic maybe.

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

tomwarrior

niftydog, like this;
http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/mxrdodphase.gif
pins 4 and 8.

prive, im only building the preamp. there are 9 opamp stages in the preamp. im going to do it using 5 tl082's. heres the schematic;
sound is subjective.

tomwarrior

i figured it out!!!

i got the first 4 opamp stages completed on my breadboard. sounds good so far!!!!
sound is subjective.

niftydog

don't leave us hanging! What was the problem?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

tomwarrior

i didnt hook up the batteries correctly. it needed a bipolar power supply.
i havent had alot of time lately but i managed to build up to opamp 7 so far.
ive been checking the sound of each opamp as i wire it and it sounds great out of opamp 7.
if you build this preamp be aware that unlike all the other opamps in the circut that opamp 5 is wired so that the non-inverting input is grounded. if you mess up the two inputs the presence control will not work correctly. if i have time i will finish it tonight and hopefully record some sound clips.---tom
sound is subjective.