Quick Question

Started by superjoe, January 04, 2006, 01:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superjoe

Im building a Rangemaster and I want to have switchable input caps with a dpdt, one for regular treble boost and one for a full range boost...What value cap should I use for the full boost? Thanks.

MartyB

Here's some suggestions:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/MartyBs/r3pcblyt

I recommend breadboarding it and trying a few different combinations.

superjoe

Quote from: MartyB on January 04, 2006, 02:03:55 PM
Here's some suggestions:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/MartyBs/r3pcblyt

I recommend breadboarding it and trying a few different combinations.
so which one would you suggest for a full boost?

MartyB

They all will color the sound.  You should try different ones for your own.  If you are just looking for a clean boost why not use switch to select between the rangemaster and a boost like Dragonfly's Sparkle Boost?

stm

A 3 position center-off switch will allow you three different settings, like Treble, Mid and Full boost.

Use the stock 6.8n cap for Treble Boost.
Add a 10n cap in parallel for Mid Boost.
Add a 68n cap in parallel for Full Boost.

Adjust the 10 and 68 nF caps to taste depending on how it sounds with your gear and your personal preferences.

d95err

Quote from: superjoe on January 04, 2006, 01:56:38 PM
Im building a Rangemaster and I want to have switchable input caps with a dpdt, one for regular treble boost and one for a full range boost...What value cap should I use for the full boost? Thanks.

You don't need a DPDT to switch between two input cap values. An SPST will do. The value of two caps in paralell is the sum of the two caps, so all you need to do is to put two caps in paralell and wire the swich in series with one of them.

In my experience, full frequency range on a Rangemaster makes it muddy and doesn't sound that good. It's designed as a treble boost, and sounds best as one. Experiment and choose two (or three if you use a center-off switch) values that sound good.

petemoore

There's ways to see
  Socket the incap
  Socket parallel to the incap, insert cap to let more bass in, take cap out of socket for 'normal'.
  Socket series with an incap, [two input caps in a row or just one] switch the two lugs of the socket to connect/disconnect, [to bypass the second cap or not] two caps in series lets less bass in.
  Get a third, cap an' opinion.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.