Small Stone Help

Started by Jayco, January 07, 2006, 03:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayco

I've got an original Small Stone...  NY made.

The wiring inside was a total mess (slopped solder from whomever owned it before me trying to do something with it, but it worked none the less).

I wanted to do the mod to make it sound like a Univibe, so I opened it up and decided to rewire the power, switch and jacks while I was in there.

I put the whole thing back together (verifying connections using the photo from GGG page)... and it doesn't work.

With the switch off, the guitar tone comes through just fine.

Turn the switch on, and there is NO guitar signal, but I can hear the oscillation of the LFOs. 

The color switch changes the timbre of the signal and the pot changes the speed of the oscillation.

Just no guitar signal.   I hear the swirling (there is pitch to the oscillation), but no signal.

I checked again to make sure I had followed the same connections as the picture shown on GGG, but something must not be right.

I'd appreciate any insight or input as I'm frustrated that a pedal I owned WAS working an hour ago until I started working on it... grrrr.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

stankyfish

It sounds like it's time to build/break out the audio probe.  There's a page at Geofex that has instructions on creating an audio probe (basically a 1/4" jack with input cap connected to the probe end) that you can use to check where you think the signal should be to see if it's really there.  Trace the guitar signal from the input jack through the circuit and see if you hear what you think you're supposed to hear.

It's helped me with all sorts of problems -- including some with my Small Stone when I overhauled it with new caps and switches.  It also helped me find a problem with a WAH where I accidentally tied the input signal to ground -- oops.

jmasciswannabe

mine does that when one of the jacks is loose and swivels around and hits the color switch......someitmes tou get in such arush to put something back together and try it that you dont pay attention to tightening things real well, or at least I do! So I would try that and rellok over your wiring again! good luck!
....the staircase had one too many steps