News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Specifics?

Started by bucky, January 08, 2006, 04:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucky

In looking online for parts, I notice that there are many products that fall under the criteria that I'm looking for, but are slightly different.  For instance, I was looking on mouser for a .12uf capacitor, and there are some that are 100V, and others that are 250V.  Does it matter which ones I use?

littlegreiger

The voltage rating doesn't matter, as long as it's higher than the supply voltage. For a normal pedal that's 9V. Also, usually the higher the voltage rating the physically larger the capacitor becomes.

petemoore

16v rating is the general minimum for running 9v effects, higher voltage caps can be used. If I think I might want to run higher voltage I'll use 25v, or when I have 'em.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

I bought all these damn 16v caps for effects but now I'm building amps and they're all F***ing useless!!

RDV

R.G.

To be perfectly correct, they're differently useful...

:icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

RDV

Quote from: R.G. on January 09, 2006, 10:21:31 AM
To be perfectly correct, they're differently useful...

:icon_biggrin:
Yeah, but when you need a 50v and all you've got is 16v, they're useless!
I'm actually using some 16v in the Thomas/Vox preamp, but I'm running the thing at 18v now, so I'm "Livin' On The Edge"! :icon_eek:

RDV

stm

Quote from: RDV on January 09, 2006, 10:49:24 AM
Yeah, but when you need a 50v and all you've got is 16v, they're useless!
I'm actually using some 16v in the Thomas/Vox preamp, but I'm running the thing at 18v now, so I'm "Livin' On The Edge"! :icon_eek:

RDV

Of course a circuit may operate for years in a limit condition, but may equally fail without previous notice in the worst situation--5 mins before a gig (as Murphy dictates).

A good design never uses a component near one of its maximum ratings.  A security factor between 20 to 50% is always desirable to insure reliable operation.  As such, even if you use a 16V capactor for a 15V supply I would consider that design "on the edge", and surely would discount points to a student that comes up wich such a design.  In this case a 25V capacitor would be a reasonable and sensible choice.

Of course sometimes we may prefer living on the edge due to space limitations and/or component availability--at our own risk.  Just wanted to clarify this for beginners to stay out of trouble.