beginner project + tonestack?

Started by tennisdude, January 08, 2006, 09:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennisdude

I posted this in the beginner project forum, i thought it would do better here:

This question is directed towards Aron, but others are welcome to chime in.

I'd really like to encorporate that "tonestack" thats in the schematics section into a pedal. Does the beginner project have enough gain to wire before the tonestack, and if so how far over unity gain would it go?

Also, if I wanted to leave out the mids control, could i just wire a resistor to ground somewhere from 0 - 10k ? or use a 10k trimpot?

heres the schematic of the tonestack:
http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=35951.0

beginner project (booster):

thanks
john

tennisdude

d95err

Quote from: tennisdude on January 08, 2006, 11:02:07 PM
no love for the project idea  :icon_cry:

*lecture mode on*
What do you mean? You posted this about an hour after your initial post. Did you expect people to answer that fast? This is not a commercial support forum...

Please don't direct questions at one particular person. This is a community and posts should be directed to the whole community, unless you have a very specific reason to target a particular person. In that case you may be better off using email.
*lecture mode off*

I haven't built the beginner project booster, but it looks like it would be ok to put the fender/marshal style tone stack after it. With "all knobs on 10", it's almost the same as bypassing the whole tonestack. If you want to leave out the mid control, just use a fixed resistor or a trimpot.

scaesic

if you want active tone controls, i'd reccomend using an active filter configuration.
if you want to just boost, i'd boost after.

scaesic

Quote from: scaesic on January 09, 2006, 08:32:39 AM
if you want active tone controls, i'd reccomend using an active filter configuration.
if you want to just boost, i'd boost after, although that just stems from my pre-conceptions about boosting a signal you dont want.
boosting after/before probably wont matter. if you dont have enough gain, just make the booster higher gain.

RLBJR65

I think you would have to add a gain recovery stage after the tone stack.

Try this out you should be able to just tack it on. 
Stupidly wonderfull tone controll topic http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=35047.0
Marks schem. and notes for the tone controll are on his web page. http://hammer.ampage.org/ 

Check out the mods page, some usfull tone controlls there as well http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/mods.html

Richard
Richard Boop

Dragonfly

Quote from: RLBJR65 on January 09, 2006, 09:20:00 AM
I think you would have to add a gain recovery stage after the tone stack.

Richard

my thoughts as well...otherwise you'd likely end up with a "near or at unity gain" eq....with a recovery stage after the eq, you'll get boost as well....but you may want to just experiment a bit...  :)

tennisdude

thanks guys. sorry for being impatient  ;D

i directed the question at Aron because he isthe one who runs the beginner project section and it was he who introduced the tone stack schematic. i thought this was appropriate, sorry if i offended anyone.

thanks for the comments, keep em coming  :icon_mrgreen:

tennisdude

mark's tone control idea looks really cool... i think i may use that one.

just out of curiousity tho, how would I add a gain stage? the SWTC gives me an extra volume and tone pot which I dont need, although it does look sweet ;D

StickMan

Why would you use the three knob tone stack and then replace the mid-range with a resistor?

Wouldn't you be better off just using a two knob tone stack to start with?

My main concern is that the mid-range on the three knob is probably the most important of all three.

dave.

tennisdude

id say the only good response to this is that its my personal preference. my amp seems to be heavy on the bass, fine on the mids, and light on the treble. id like to correct this by boosting the treble and lowering the bass if i can. It's a homebuilt tube amp with only a tone control :D

Joecool85

I think you'd be better off doing what I plan on doing.

LPB1, tone stack, poweramp.

I'm building a lm3886 (later, not yet) and needed a preamp setup.  Here is the schematic I have so far for the whole preamp/eq:

**edit**
Q1 is a 2n5088
Also, the LPB1 schematic is at tonepad and GGG.  You could probably use any other good booster, but this one is simple and suppose to be pretty clean which is what I had wanted.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

petemoore

There's a ROG 'Mr. Eq" that uses a 4049, it looks snazzy.
  I have a tonestack built, it is from the Marshall Amp sim, and would like to have a nice drive section for it, but I'm not sure [*other than using Jfets, Bipolars or OA's] what to use to drive it, how much it takes, whether I'd be doing well to wreak gain @9v from a single or use a dual two stage driver...
  * I've got some 4049's here, in faulty circuits, don't know the chip condition...that's why I'm more inclined to use parts I know I have that work and I've a good track record with. I don't know what it is with me and 4049 CCt.s but they don't seem to last for me, probably just me.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

d95err

Quote from: petemoore on January 10, 2006, 09:00:07 AM
  There's a ROG 'Mr. Eq" that uses a 4049, it looks snazzy.

There's also the ROG Tone Mender which is essentially a Fender/Marshall (swichable) tonestack with some clean boost.

tennisdude

very cool guys... thanks a lot! lots of food for thought  :icon_twisted: