Adding Built in (permanent) 1/4 male phone plug to an effect for out signal!

Started by seanthomas46, January 10, 2006, 07:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanthomas46

I am working on doing an Electro Harmonix LPB-1.  The original has a 1/4 male phone plug for it's out signal built into the box.  How would I do this? 
  Or would it be better to not have the plug built in, and just have a normal out jack?
I also need help on wiring a DC power jack.
Thanks for your condolence
Sean

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

petemoore

I wouldn't choose that, Bill got away with that for years, [delicate and predisposed to failure as they are, it is surprizing to me that they were implimented commercially], ...OT...in the 70's, He had SG>LPB>BMP>Fender Quad...'Willie Soultone'...noisy as heck, sounded awesome.
  I had a 'Frizzy Fuzz' [a hanging garden Si FF] like that, it failed regularly/frequently, I would set it 'just so' and hope it didn't become intermittent for a while.
  Anyway, a plug sticking out and mounted to box, that is intended to be plugged into a box's or guitar's jack, IMO, expects many times the rigidity that jacks or plugs possess [there are much more reliable ways to make the necessary connections].
  One is to use a heavy duty guitar type shielded cable, about 1', and have that coming out of the box with the plug on it, then tape or fasten the box to your guitar strap.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mike Burgundy

If you can find a plug that had a screw-on housing, and have the tools, you could drill a hole into the housing of the appropriate size, and thread it to accept the screw-in plug. Solder the connections afterwards.
That said, this is very fragile as stated above. The housing's thickness and the hardness of the aluminium mean you can't really put any lateral stress on the jack/housing joint. I wouldn't do it, but it's possible.