Spacing control on Tremulus Lune (no trem past half rotation normal?)

Started by analog kid, January 11, 2006, 01:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

analog kid

Hi, I built a TremLune a long while back and though I really liked it I never did decide if the spacing control was SUPPOSED to function the way it does on my unit. I have also searched the forum on and off to see if anyone else described or discussed the functioning of the spacing but no such luck. I used the called for 500k (L?) pot and the thing is that although it acts like what I would think a SPACING control should, in that it, to the ear, slows the 'speed' of the Tremolo. Tightening or 'centering' the Trem as it's rotated  (from however intense the depth, and fast the speed and fine are set at the time) bringing it to a less audible,  slower trem effect (tightening the waveform is the way I see it in my head  :icon_neutral:) as you rotate the pot CW , but it 'center's out' to almost NO  audible TREM EFFECT by just a little over Half Rotation!!! So  meaning that from about 55-60% rotation apprx.  and on there is absolutely no function in this Spacing control. 
Possible that I have just gotten something wrong around the spacing pot in the schem? although I checked well.  Or is it likely that I may just need a smaller value pot in my Lune to counter this? If that's all it would take that's great. BUT if the spacing control isn't supposed to behave or affect the crkt like this AT ALL I sure appreciate the help!  Hope I didn't make this simple expl. too confusing.  :icon_redface:
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

Bernardduur

Hmmm, I guess there is something wrong. My spacing just alters the symmetry of the wave (as in top where the volume is the most cut and the way the "wave" gets to that place) and it does nothing to the speed
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

(doug harrison)

500K-L is the correct value. Check the two resistors at the bottom of the 4558; they should be 220K and 470K. (Or if you're using the tonepad layout, check the two resistors that connect to the spacing pads.)

Also check the capacitor that goes from pin 5 to pin 7 of the 4558. It should be .01 uF (103).

analog kid

Ok , I wanted to hear for sure whether or not that was the way that Spacing should behave, I had a real good feeling it wasn't and that just a smaller value pot wasn't the answer. I am very glad to hear suggestions on WHERE I might want to look other than the wiring of and the pot itself! Rather than just "no mine's not like that".
I will check out those components asap. 
I used the modified layout by Phillip posted on Fuzzcentral  , I think it's pretty close to the Commonsound layout with just the typical Power filtering and rev. polarity diode protection IIRC.
My soldering on this pcb was fairly lacking so I went over it again last night but I hope to find a wrong value.
thanks
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..