Tillman preamp and treble bleed cap values

Started by Xavier, January 12, 2006, 09:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Ok I've just installed the Tillman in my Washburn N4 guitar, and while it does what expected at full volume (500k pot), I lose highs at lower settings. Previously I had a 0.001 cap which did the job. I've tried 500pF and 2n2 without success...

Any idea?

R.G.

I'm not really clear what capacitor you're talking about. The Tillman preamp essentially eliminates volume control high losses as it sits in most cases. Can you post a schematic of what you've done?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Xavier

Quote from: R.G. on January 12, 2006, 10:02:59 AM
I'm not really clear what capacitor you're talking about. The Tillman preamp essentially eliminates volume control high losses as it sits in most cases. Can you post a schematic of what you've done?

Thanks R.G.

The circuit is guitar pickup--------volume pot (500k) with 0.001 cap across the lugs---------tillman (no gain pot, just straight)----------output

All ground leads go to the back to the volume pot and from there to the output jack ground lug.

Battery ground goes to ring lug of the output (stereo) jack

The purpose of a treble bleed cap is not losing the highs when you lower the guitar volume.

R.G.

OK, got you.

Put the Tillman preamp right after the pickup, before the volume control.You won't need the treble cap.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Xavier

I was thinking about the same. For some reason I wired the preamp after the volume pot. I'll try it.

Did my first rehearsal with it. It makes humbuckers sound almost acoustic !!! For clean sounds it's a beautiful sound, very glassy and not noisy. For distortions it's different story. This kind of treble boost makes the attack of distorted notes kind of weird (like plugging an acoustic into a dist pedal, yuck !!), so I guess I will install a push-pull volume pot to switch it in and out. Will I need a pulldown resistor?