ROG "Flipster" Bass amp sim ..

Started by MartyMart, January 12, 2006, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

... My Bass was getting jealous of all the gtr "toy's" so it needed a present !
I normally record it via a Tech 21 Bass DI, which is fabulous .... so ....
The flipster sounded interesting and would offer another tone for bass recording.
I built it with all J201's, biased to between 5.5 and 6v
Added a 1uf poly input cap ( had some noise/hash without) and to Q1 used a 68k and 4M7 to ground.
I have run out of 1M pots, so changed the tone control to a Big Muff setup, which works rather well !
nice and flat at 12 o'clock and bass boost left/treble boost right of centre.
It has a great sound, with a nice amount of "grit" when the pregain is dialed up.
It works well with the condor too, though I have to add a bit of low end back in from my desk EQ.
All in all, well worth building and it will get used next week for some bass recording.
Perhaps I'll post a clip then
Another "thumbs up" for the ROG amp sim guru's  :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

MartyMart

I wasn't very "specific" earlier and was pushed for time ....
Anyone who's interested in a good Bass preamp should build this, I find
it has a really good "Amp" sound to it, seems to put some "air" and "depth" to the
bass, either in front of an amp/cab or the condor cab sim.
The "grit" when used subtly is lovely ...
Very pleased with it, 9/10 ..... this will get used a LOT !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Bernardduur

I know!! I finally fixed mine (turned out I was making a short circuit through three layers of ductape).....

Oh, and the gain pot was broken

Now I need some experimenting, but I really like this one.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

MartyMart

That's great, I'm pleased that you've got it working :D
I had to "re-flow" the solder on the 1M gain pot, it was cutting out a little
all fine now .
I'm VERY pleased with this little amp sim ..

MM.

nelson

I am using it as a solid state bass preamp.I have the board populated etc, just need to make the power amp.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nofretsplz

Martymart, how quiet is the Flipster (noise, hiss, etc.) compared to the Sansamp? By way of reference, my Bass DI gets audible hiss when any of the pots are turned past 1 or 2 o'clock.

I happened on a '67 B-15-N a few years ago, but I usually play in venues that don't allow amps.  :icon_rolleyes: Runoffgroove's sound sample of the Flipster pretty much nails the B-15 sound!

Also, does anyone happen to remember whether these transistorss can handle a bigger power supply, like +-15V or something? I'm hoping to build a version with as low a noise floor as possible. :icon_twisted:

Nofretsplz

Bernardduur

I am running mine on 18V.... bias around the 15V or so.....

I am planning to build a tube version of it soon (well, just the normal preamp so my SS amp has a tube preamp)

nofretsplz

That will be fun! The only problem I have with my B-15 is that the preamp tubes are 6SL7...the only good 6SL7's are NOS at $25 each. If you can make a 12AX7 version, that would rock.

Bernardduur

nofretsplz

BTW, does anyone know how the Flipster is in terms of hiss/noise?

I pulled up the spec sheets on the transistors involved, and they all can take up to +-25V on the rails. I'm mainly looking for the clean sound, not actual overdrive. Come to think of it, my B-15 never actually gets into real overdrive territory (distortion)...just reeely warm tube sound.

MartyMart

sorry for the delay .... been away
It's VERY quiet ... virtualy no noise at all unless all controls are flat out !

MM.

Bernardduur

Yep!

I have one problem: when the gain is set too high I have a terrible bleed through when the pedal is off. The bleed is a high pitched "whine". Anyone knows a remedy??? It is true Bypass

tazwolf

I'm currently building a flipster.
I am thinking of using a DRV134 balanced line
driver chip to be able to output straight to a mixer.
I'm thinking of feeding the output of the Flipster after the
vol pot.

Heres a datasheet for the drv
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/drv134.html

I'm not going to be using it as a stomp pedal but as a DI 
for my bass.

I'm thinking of powering it with a 9v wallwart feeding 9v to the flip and
a voltage divider to provide +- 4.5 for the DRV chip.

Can anybody see any problems?

/taz

B Tremblay

Quote from: Bernardduur on February 05, 2006, 12:53:44 PM
I have one problem: when the gain is set too high I have a terrible bleed through when the pedal is off. The bleed is a high pitched "whine". Anyone knows a remedy??? It is true Bypass

Re-wire the switch to ground the circuit input when bypassed.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Bernardduur

nofretsplz

"It's VERY quiet ... virtualy no noise at all unless all controls are flat out !"

Wow...more quiet than your Tech 21 Bass DI, yes? If it's at least that quiet, I can use it! I'm not too interested in flat-out settings, either. Just a bit of warmth and EQ will be just fine.