russian big muff mod

Started by choklitlove, January 14, 2006, 12:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choklitlove

i have one, and i want to make it true bypass, add a dc jack and all that.  i was looking here: www.singlecoil.com/docs/russian_muff.pdf

it says you have to change the switch to 3pdt.  mine looks like it has one (9 terminals).  is mine true bypass already?
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

choklitlove

petemoore

Well...
  if one of the three 'P's goes to input, another to output, and you have an LED coming off the third one somewhere, probably so.
  does your switch have a bypass jumper across a couple of the 9 lugs?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

choklitlove

yeah, it does.  i checked all of the wires and where they went, and i also checked the board.  it all looks true bypass.  are they making them like that now?

tiges_ tendres

my russian muff, the black one, has an X-wing switch in it.  Are you sure you have the russian muff?
Try a little tenderness.

choklitlove

yeah, positive.  cheap, black, new.  says "made in russia" on it.  the inside says "28 2005".  when was yours made?

choklitlove

tiges_ tendres

wow!  Mine is from around 96/97, doesn't look like you need to do anything!

Try a little tenderness.

choklitlove

yeah.  i'm still going to install a dc jack, but that's easy.  i'm pretty happy.

maybe you could get a new one for free somehow.  show them mine and complain.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: choklitlove on January 16, 2006, 07:07:39 PM
yeah.  i'm still going to install a dc jack, but that's easy.  i'm pretty happy.

maybe you could get a new one for free somehow.  show them mine and complain.

hah! mine looks a little more antiquated than yours though, and by antiquated, I mean Thrashed!!  I dont think they'll take my complaint.
Try a little tenderness.

choklitlove

it's kind of like when you (the devoted fan) buy a cd on the first day, then a week later the "special edition" comes out with a whole bunch of new shit for the same price and your friend gets it.  that pisses me off.

tiges_ tendres

if anything mine will just have more vintage mojo in 10 years!  that's if the switch holds out that long.
Try a little tenderness.

mrsage

Yeah, it's great that EHX is putting 3PDTs in even their Sovtek pedals these days.

Cool stuff!

If anyone is looking for info on true-bypassing and rehousing older Russian Muffs, you can check out my page:

www.voxblues.com/guitar/muff