Topopiccione Basballs Layout question

Started by WildMountain, January 14, 2006, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildMountain

A question for Alex or anyone who has built the Bassballs, using the Topopiccione layout.
http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimages/EHBassBalls.lay.gif
How do I connect the sensitivity pot? I understand you've labelled the pot lugs a and b, whereas I am used to lug 1, 2 and 3. A=1, B=2, C=3? If so, then where do I connect lug c (or 3)? I'm guessing from the schematic it needs to be connected to ground, but I wanted to make sure.
Thanks.

Mark Hammer

Yes, the 3rd lug goes to ground.  The wiper goes to R3 and the other lug to C2.

In the flipping over of pots it is easy to lose track.  Easiest way to verify that the wires have gone to the correct lugs is to pretend you're turning it up and ask yourself if you are moving the wiper away from ground or not.

WildMountain

Mark, I could've known it would be you again, coming to the rescue on another Bassballs question.  8)
I'll try it that way then. Should be finished today.
By the way, Alex, very nice PCB layout and Bassballs project on your site. Thanks for that!

WildMountain

Ok, it's finished. It works with the pot connected as you said.
What is the best way to set the two trimpots? I don't have a bassguitar at home, so setting by ear has to be done with my regular guitar. Is there another way to do it so I know it'll work for bassguitar. I would like the pedal to work straight "out of the box", as it is a birthday present for my brother.
One other thing: I didn't have 560p ceramic caps, so I changed them with the closest value I had, 470p. Do you think that'll matter much (for use with bassguitar)? The closest value upwards I have is 1000p/1nF. I could also put two caps in parallel to get close (220 + 330 pF for example).

Mark Hammer

Quote from: WildMountain on January 15, 2006, 11:02:45 AM
Ok, it's finished. It works with the pot connected as you said.
What is the best way to set the two trimpots? I don't have a bassguitar at home, so setting by ear has to be done with my regular guitar. Is there another way to do it so I know it'll work for bassguitar.

The E-H website has some decent samples of the BassBalls that you can use as reference-points for adjusting the trimpots.  Since, outside of 10-turn types, trimpots tend not to be too accurate, there's really no advice to offer on setup other than starting from the midpoint and tweaking until it sound like the samples.  If you want to be more "scientific" about it, just tune your E and A strings down for the setup.   It will "work" right out of the box (it was intended for bass, so the design does what you need it to do), but since he's your brother you can throw in a warranty for free and help him adjust it taste once he uses it.  I think you guys will have fun with that.

QuoteOne other thing: I didn't have 560p ceramic caps, so I changed them with the closest value I had, 470p. Do you think that'll matter much (for use with bassguitar)? The closest value upwards I have is 1000p/1nF. I could also put two caps in parallel to get close (220 + 330 pF for example).

The 560pf cap is more or less for reducing noise.  1000pf wouldn't really have a deleterious effect on the lower filter, but may take out some of the high end in the upper filter.  470pf should be just fine.

Zero the hero

QuoteBy the way, Alex, very nice PCB layout and Bassballs project on your site. Thanks for that!
:icon_cool: thanks!

I set the trimpot by ear and, as stated by Mark, it will work out ot the box.
Have fun!

hank reynolds 3rd

maybe use pots instead of trimmers??
that way they can be tweaked for guitar and bass freely

WildMountain

I think I will be OK then. I thought of the EHX website shortly after posting and compared the samples to what "my" Bassballs produced. Sounds quite similar, especially the samples done with guitar.
So, I just need to box it up before february 5th and I'll be OK.
Thanks guys.

xaxxop

hola!!!!!! amigos alguno me podria mandar las modificaciones para el bass balls en un esquema!! mi correo es leandroestebancalvo@hotmail.com muchas gracias!!!!

leandro.