Effects Chain (kind of dumb,but asking experience)

Started by Stevo, January 14, 2006, 05:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevo

Got a new(used) Mesa MK IV with the effects loop option. I use a wah, phaser,delay, and a  BOSS looper.....I also have the TU-2 tuner.... Here goes???? How would you set this up with the effects loop option and the tuner as well as where would you put the wah ...Or should all go before the input??   What does a looper do in the effects loop can it eliminate some noise as theses things are noisy??.....Honestly I dont need anything because the sound is awesome (MY christmas present to me)...Sorry about the off topic, but I got tons of effects I play on my other amp!!!!! DISTORTIONS that is....
practice cause time does not stop...

Mark Hammer

There are essentially 6 things to consider when inserting effects in front of the amp or in the loop internal to the amp:

• Is there something to be gained by feeding the initial stages of the amp itself with some sort of altered signal?  E.g., A wah can sound great in front of a fuzz - can it have a similar pleasing consequence in front of a preamp?
  • Is there something to be gained by being able to completely bypass a group of effects?  The loop selector bypasses everything between its send and return.  That can be useful.
  • Is there some way to assure suitable send and return levels in the loop?  Will the send level be too hot for something in the loop?  Will the return level be enough to dsrive the power amp hard enough?
  • Is there anything that needs to go as early in the signal chain as possible to assure lowest noise levels?  Sticking a compressor in the loop is probably a little late in the game as far as eliminating the extraneous hiss that compresssors tend to exaggerate.
  • Is there something to be gained by processing what comes out of the preamp as opposed to processing  what goes in?  For example, if you have a looper, do you want to hear repeats of what the Mk IV has done to the tone, or do you want to loop the cleanest possible tone?
  • Is it physically convenient to have the pedals connected to the loop as opposed to the more traditional guitar-to-pedalboard-to-amp?

Since there are some choices to be made on your part, with respect to answering these questions, I'll just leave it at the questions rather than attempting to answer them.

Stevo

Wheewww thats great..I guess you really need to experiment too...I dont really have time to set things up than try something else etc.... So your topics are extremely great!!!...Everthing you said has come to mind and I really need to see what will work..THANKS
practice cause time does not stop...