The OverUnderSidewaysFuzz! (w/pics)

Started by hairyandy, January 16, 2006, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairyandy

Here's some shots of my newest build that I've called the OverUnderSidewaysFuzz.  It's a Tonebender MKII Pro made with Mullard OC75 PNP transistors and negative ground.  I made it on stripboard with a new layout that I put together.  I used all carbon comp resistors and I didn't add any of the usual TBMKIIPro mods since I wanted to go for the Beck/Page Yardbirds sound as close as possible.  It sounds really good to me, more like Page's tone on 'Little Games' than on the early Zep stuff.  It's really thick, even with the Fuzz knob all the way down, and the Volume knob really affects the tone.  The tone gets thicker as it's turned up.

Here's a couple shots of the outside:

Here's a shot of the guts:

Here's a shot of the board showing the Mullards:

I hope you all dig it,
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

RDV

(sings)When will it end?

Went all out on that one. Looks really good!

:icon_wink: :icon_wink:

RDV

petemoore

You'll be able to spot that on the pedal board N/P !!!
  Great Motif' looks cool on there.
  You just wire up a Neg Gnd TBMkII schematic, using PNP's from GGG and it worked right off?
  I've been trying mine out, sounds great but drifts... :(
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

hairyandy

Quote from: petemoore on January 16, 2006, 11:11:02 PM
  You just wire up a Neg Gnd TBMkII schematic, using PNP's from GGG and it worked right off?

Actually I did my own stripboard layout using J.D. and Phillip's PCB layouts and a couple different schematics as references.  It worked right off and seems to be pretty stable.  I searched through a few OC75s that I've bought off Ebay and found the HFEs that I wanted and everything sounds great.  I haven't had any problems making PNP/Neg. Gnd Rangemasters either.

Thanks for the comments you guys.  This is my favorite build yet...
Andy Harrison

no one ever

(chk chk chk)

soggybag

How did you wire up the DC jack? I was under the impression that a negative ground effect did not work well with an AC jack?

chokeyou

wired negative it can be on the same daisy chain as everything considered 'standard', no?

correct me if im wrong as i havent wired up any positive ground effects yet... but as long as they're on a different daisy chain/using a different adapter from negative ground effects, all should work well...right?

MartyMart

That's a beauty Andy :D
I've only ever built "negative ground" FF's with Ge NPN's
I thought a PNP negative Gnd was a nightmare !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

hairyandy

Quote from: chokeyou on January 17, 2006, 02:03:27 AM
wired negative it can be on the same daisy chain as everything considered 'standard', no?

correct me if im wrong as i havent wired up any positive ground effects yet... but as long as they're on a different daisy chain/using a different adapter from negative ground effects, all should work well...right?

Yes, since it's wired neg. gnd. I can power it with my Pedal Power 2 along with all of my other effects.  That's really the only reason I made it neg. gnd.  If it were pos. gnd. then I'd have to use only batteries or get a pos. gnd. power supply.

Quote from: MartyMart on January 17, 2006, 04:16:15 AM
That's a beauty Andy :D
I've only ever built "negative ground" FF's with Ge NPN's
I thought a PNP negative Gnd was a nightmare !!

Marty.

Thanks Marty.  You're neg. gnd. FF's probably sound great with those killer OC140s!  The PNP neg. gnd. thing isn't a nightmare at all as long as it's laid out correctly, at least that's been my experience.  I know that I've read on here a thousand times that PNP trannys weren't made to be powered neg. gnd. but I haven't had any problems and I've made about 20 RMs for people.  Maybe I've just been lucky?  I'm getting ready to go back out on the road but I'll try to  post my layout for this when I get some time...

BTW, I hate those power jacks.  I usually use the plastic ones that are flush to the enclosure but I ran out and this was all I had.

Thanks guys,

Andy Harrison

hairyandy

Quote from: soggybag on January 17, 2006, 12:39:22 AM
How did you wire up the DC jack? I was under the impression that a negative ground effect did not work well with an AC jack?

The negative terminal goes to the negative of the LED and to ground, the non-disconnect positive terminal goes to the 3PDT switch opposite the LED positive (with a 150-ohm resistor as a little noise filter), and the disconnect positive terminal goes to battery red (positive).
Andy Harrison

Dragonfly