Main Menu

The Crank

Started by didier, January 17, 2006, 06:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

didier

damn this one seems interesting...

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/TheCrank?full=1

i'm going to build this one!
but as i am not english, could someone here explain to me what "Ganged, reverse-wired" means?

is it a stereo pot with both pots wired reversed? so while one increases resistance, the other decreases by the same amount?
would a fet-buffer at the input be a good idea or useless?

anyone built this?
i love subtle OD...

*Edit: the link i found for the PCB designed by Paul M. seems to be damaged... anyone have this? maybe Paul?  ;)
Complete: TS-808; LPB2; Orange Squeezer; Green Ringer; Foxx Tone Machine; LM3886 PowerAmp.
To Be Completed: DOD440; Professor Tweed; LHX; Real McTube 2; Rebote 2.5 Delay; ETI MN3011 Reverb;

trevize

didier

sorry, i should have done a search!

http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=38718.0

thx mark for what seems a lovely build!
Complete: TS-808; LPB2; Orange Squeezer; Green Ringer; Foxx Tone Machine; LM3886 PowerAmp.
To Be Completed: DOD440; Professor Tweed; LHX; Real McTube 2; Rebote 2.5 Delay; ETI MN3011 Reverb;

didier

jmusser

As far as I know, he means you have a gang pot, and the front half has the lugs wired  3 2 1, where the back half is wired 1 2 3, so that your increasing the resistance with one of the pots, while at the same time decreasing resistance with the other. These pots are mounted together, (one behind the other) off the same shaft.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Paul Marossy

QuoteAs far as I know, he means you have a gang pot, and the front half has the lugs wired  3 2 1, where the back half is wired 1 2 3, so that your increasing the resistance with one of the pots, while at the same time decreasing resistance with the other.

Bingo!  :icon_wink:

didier

Paul? would there be any chance you still have the pcb layout for this?
and some comments on your build?
does it sound as good as i may xpect it to?

Mark Hammer

It's not THAT good!  :icon_lol:  It's *just* a booster, which means that if you have an amp which sounds good when pushed hard, that it can serve that amp overdrive up a little more nicely.

I would suggest sticking a 1k resistor in series with the diodes in stage 2 to soften the clipping a bit.

didier

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 17, 2006, 11:19:53 AM
It's not THAT good!  :icon_lol:  It's *just* a booster

aaaw comon you're just saying that because you designed it... :)
from what i've heard so far it would add a little subtle something extra to my tone, which i love, i love subtle tonal changes :D

I would suggest sticking a 1k resistor in series with the diodes in stage 2 to soften the clipping a bit.

i'll give that a try

Paul Marossy

Quote from: didier on January 17, 2006, 11:11:42 AM
Paul? would there be any chance you still have the pcb layout for this?
and some comments on your build?
does it sound as good as i may xpect it to?

http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/Crankster.pdf

Note: I have the wires at the dual ganged pot shown incorrectly.  :icon_redface: - one pot needs to be increasing while the other is decreasing...

seanthomas46

If you love subtle tonal changes, you'll love the LPB 1 with a 2n3904 replacement for the transistor.  Obvious volume boost, but not too much.  Puts your tone into slight overdrive, and adds clarity, and tightness, keeping lows solid and articulated with smooth bass.
  I just built one, and used a 2n3904 NPN.

MartyMart

It's not THAT good!  :icon_lol:  It's *just* a booster, which means that if you have an amp which sounds good when pushed hard, that it can serve that amp overdrive up a little more nicely.

Mark, I must correct you here ..... ahem .......  "IT IS THAT GOOD"  :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

didier

i allways get the notice that the PDF for the pcb is damaged and could not be repaired, i reinstalled acrobat reader, didn't help...

??? whats the problem then? because for other people it seems to work?

and LPB1 is on the breadboard at home, havn't tested it yet because of exams but looking forward to it :D

btw: has anyone seen the price people pay for the LPB1? jezus, look at reviews on harmony central up to $70... if only they knew what's inside :s

col

This IS good! I built mine on stripboard and was well impressed. It isn't a transparent boost as it does add tone. At full tilt it pushes my valve amp into overdrive. Build one soon.
Col