AMZ Mosfet Question

Started by seanthomas46, January 17, 2006, 06:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanthomas46

What kind of switch is this?  It labels it as bypass, but has three extra terminals than a normal DPDT labeled Switch 1 ???
  Can anyone explain to me what this is?
http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ge_boost_lo_amz_mosfet.gif
My Second question is that for this project there is an option for more control.  It labels these two options as OUT 1 & OUT 2.  Does this mean that there are two out jacks?  What do the two OUT's represent physically or practically?
http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm(second schematic at bottom)
  It also calls for the first option out 1, to switch the original 5K linear pot with a 5K linear pot with a mounted SPST switch which is opened when the pot is dialed at minimum setting :icon_question:  Do these switch mounted pots come stock?
  You can also use a DPDT switch two swith between the two options.  I've drawn the addition onto the revised schematic, have I got it correct?
Forget, I can't figure out how to use this f*n insert picture crap.

Thanks
Sean

davebungo

Quote from: seanthomas46 on January 17, 2006, 06:45:31 AM
What kind of switch is this?  It labels it as bypass, but has three extra terminals than a normal DPDT labeled Switch 1 ???
  Can anyone explain to me what this is?

I think it's a 3 pole double throw - could be a bit expensive, not sure.  You could probably manage without this by using RG's bypass method - see Millennium bypass

My Second question is that for this project there is an option for more control.  It labels these two options as OUT 1 & OUT 2.  Does this mean that there are two out jacks?  What do the two OUT's represent physically or practically?

You could connect these two outputs to a differential input of some other device (for example the balanced input of a mixer) but for guitar stuff I would just connect Output 1 and ignore Output 2.  Output 2 is just a phase inverted version of Output 1 i.e. As Output 1 goes up, Output 2 goes down and vice versa.  Note that this only works when the source bypass capacitor and resistor is switched out.  Once you engage it, Output 2 will drop in amplitude although it will remain inverted.  With R6 at minimum, you will see virtually no signal on Output 2.

It also calls for the first option out 1, to switch the original 5K linear pot with a 5K linear pot with a mounted SPST switch which is opened when the pot is dialed at minimum setting :icon_question:  Do these switch mounted pots come stock?

I would have thought you would be able to get them somewhere - not sure.

seanthomas46

thanks Man.
So I've done some research and can't find the switch type anywhere.  I've also learned a bit on the Millenium Bypass. 
  I would like to do the two option thing, because I always like more dials and a good learning curve.  But not worth the rare parts acquisiton and all the other confusion for a boost, I'll save that for my swell fuzz!
thanks

spudulike

First point is that the Mosfet boost does NOT use rare or hard-to-get parts. The switch is a 3pdt and Aron sells them. He also sells the BS170 you need, and a bunch of other stuff. The url is

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cart/

They are excellently priced, excellent quality, fully tested and helps him run the forum  :icon_lol:

Get the switches, tranny, stripboard etc from Aron and build it. I built mine using a pcb (but the same schematic as below) and its a fantastic booster.
The buffered bypass is also very handy  :icon_wink:

==============================================================

Next you need the Trochy layout and schem over at Wampcat (Brian's) site :-

and also this