Previous topic - Next topic

samzeppelin

http://www.musictoyz.com/network/xstreamPlayer.php?loadID=bjfBaby
Except for BJF baby blue. I am looking far a very transparent an "tubey" OD
so any suggestions? :icon_smile:
page rules

petemoore

TS Derivitave is my guess.
  You could try an OA Feedback loop clipper like TS, SD-1, etc.
  the ROG Tube Reamer...EZ enough to check out/build, there are numerous mods for TS and TR types...
  That one did sound to have alot [more than { } ?] of gain...maybe a little boost up front?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

didier

i can make my tubescreamer sound like that (with a boost/compressor in front... sounds the best)

i play strat -> orange squeezer set to add just a bit of byte -> tubescreamer (TS808) -> slapback delay
mmmmmm

next to come... a tube amp :D
Complete: TS-808; LPB2; Orange Squeezer; Green Ringer; Foxx Tone Machine; LM3886 PowerAmp.
To Be Completed: DOD440; Professor Tweed; LHX; Real McTube 2; Rebote 2.5 Delay; ETI MN3011 Reverb;

Eirik

I think I remember reading somwhere, probably right here in this forum, that the baby blue is basically a tubescreamer with no buffers...?
But it might have been something completly different. It just popped into my mind :)
Eirik

Alex C

That sounds really nice, but a lot like most every other TS-type pedal.  I've heard good things about the Blue Magic, and the sample clip sounds pretty similar as far as transparency (to my ears).  I have not tried it myself, though (my Sparkle Drive does just fine).
-Alex

samzeppelin

I have a tubescreamer biuld I havenĀ“t finished so sounds like I better get it going and start experiment
I want a like i said transparent overdrive/distortion that is very "attacksensitive" and dynamic and work well with a pretty much clean amp 
page rules

The Tone God

Quote from: samzeppelin on January 17, 2006, 04:15:02 PM
...I want a like i said transparent overdrive/distortion...

Did I just hear R.G. groan ? ;)

Andrew

RDV

I personally like my overdrives opaque.

RDV

Dave_B

There are some nice demos on that page.  I like the Tonebone

Help build our Wiki!

MartyMart

Quote from: RDV on January 17, 2006, 05:03:39 PM
I personally like my overdrives opaque.

RDV

"Translucent" works for me  :icon_wink:
"Transparent"  = My bank account  !!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

nelson

The air overdrive pedal, to go with your air guitar. Never before have we heard such a transparent pedal.

Only 9.95 plus P+P
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Doug_H

IIRC the BJF stuff is all discrete, if that means anything. But there are so many TS derivatives that claim to do any number of things it is ridiculous. I agree that you should just take your TS build and tweak the hell out of it until you get what you want.

petemoore

Sounclip samples I think work better [pretty good] for getting, and demonstrating general ideas of what 'it' is, in the sound you're after than for use as making a choice for how to get 'there' as in circuit choice.
  There are many circuit choices for getting something that is at least on the target board, for what we'll categorize very generally here as "TS" Type tone....[of course a TS needs a speaker and amp...], miced, recorded and soundclipped....we're going to change all that, so what is chosen Will be Different in what it does X what it is applied to...or some such variance in the equations...unless the 'shoe fits both horses exactly...
  I built a buffereless TS yesterday...4rth in the series of TS Clones for me...not counting Blues Driver, SD-1, Alexa [uh...etc.], right there is as good a place to start as ROG"s even simpler [quick and easiest TS thang] Tube Reamer...simple might be best for 'you and yours' [amp, guitar, speakers, tastes],  because it's what it is...lively.
  For a very different approach to the 'TS' goal, Blue Magic uses Mosfet>Jfet IIRC to get super smooth TS type tones, 'transparent distortion'...these two words in any context are a contradiction in terms, technically speaking, I know that is a catch phrase, and understand [I think] the sound it tries to relate to, the BM would probably be as close to that tonal misnomer as any of the 'TS sound' circuits.
  Rough as smooth glass
  Hard as water
  clean as dirt
  Transparent Distortion is cool, I'm just Razzin'...

Convention creates following, following creates convention.