blue box sounds bad

Started by benfox, January 21, 2006, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benfox

I've been working on a bluebox from tone pad.
The sound is awfull is it the real sound here is a link at first it's the sound without modification and then i 've put a jumper to cut off D2 :
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M84FTF3S

My voltage around cd4013 are
14   8.91v
13  8.91v
12  0.11v
11  0.11v
10  0v
9  0.11v
8  0v
7  0v
6  0v
5  8.91v
4  0v
3  8.91v
2  8.91v
1  0v

I used bc169 instead of 2n5088 i've check the legs no problem
i used 1n4148 instead of 1n914

Could you give me yours. I think it's weird to have 0 at pin 1
Thanks if you could help me it's so weird !!
Sorry for my bad english !!

benfox

hank reynolds 3rd

maybe it's the 4013 that isn't working..

benfox

how could i be shure of it ?
It's a new stuff
Someone have the voltage for it ??

benfox

please any idea i'm going to smash it ...

Xlrator

I built one recently and my sound is similar to the second half of your sample. I thought that is what it is supposed to sound like.

My 4013 is a Texas Instroments. Next order I make to Mouser I will get 2 of STMicros, Fairchilds, and NTEs and see how it sounds.

Maybe check the pinout (not orientation) of the BC169s you used. Base, emitter, collector could be in different order.
Listen to cKy!

choklitlove

i'm building one in the next few days... now you've got me worried.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

hank reynolds 3rd

try putting differentcombinations of transistors in...it sounds like the octave isn't coming through properly...
don't smash it...a little more nurturing and it'll be up and running..i know where you're coming from tho...those 'red mist falling' moments...I've had a couple of builds that have been introduced to the wall :)   (not the pink floyd album,either!!@)

DryRoasted

Don't forget you have to paint the box blue as well otherwise it will sound different  ;D Mojo  you see
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

Mark Hammer

Note that two transistors on either side of the blend pot have to be "turned on" via their collectors to allow signal to pass.  I don't know enough about transistors to make any specific recommendations, but it seems to me that this goal could be met by changing transistors, but it could also be met by altering the resistors, or altering the envelope driver stage (IC1a), or both.

benfox

Thanks
i will try to change the trainnies later because i go for holiday the day after tomorrow.
I have check triple check quintuple check the pinout of my bc169 no problem here. Could this be a diode problem ??? I remember know that those diodes were t4148 and not 1n914.... I'd better be shure of the compatibility of those ones with the circuit...Maybe i've made a mistake here ?

Is there someone here with a sound of the effect who can post it ? Maybe the sound of it is not as clear as i expected...
*Xlrator what kind of diode you use for D2 because the part of my sample witch looks like your sound is made without d2...my "normal sound" is the beginning of the sample

benfox

Sorry i forgot to say that i've changed the 0.05uf (c2 and c10) with 0.047uf but i think it desn't chage anything...
Les choses seraient plus simple si elle pouvait parler !!

Xlrator

1N914s and 2N3904s. Only substitutions on mine are a 330pF for C3 and .056uF for C1 & C2.

Sample one is with blend all the way up.
http://members.aol.com/xlrator/mp3/bb_sample01.mp3

Sample two and three is with the blend all the way down and slightly turned back (like 1/16th).
http://members.aol.com/xlrator/mp3/bb_sample02.mp3
http://members.aol.com/xlrator/mp3/bb_sample03.mp3
Listen to cKy!

benfox

Tyank for the links

The sound is quite far from mine !! Do you think the substitution i've made are so important...